12. First Day, First Date

First day of school. First day of College. First day at an office.

They all give us nervousness and anxiety. Don't they? That's what was happening to me while I was driving to work that day. My first day as a senior editor. 

Will I be able to do it? Will my colleagues like me as they did before? Will my bosses like me at this new position? 

Questions stormed through my mind, I didn't know the answers to. But one thought overpowered them all. I had to meet Shiv for lunch and tell him about the baby. The thing that I dreaded the most. It scared me more than the monsters under my bed ever did. What if he lashes out? Whatever was going on between us was at risk. I actually felt happy with him. My smiles weren't fake like they were most of the time. I didn't want to give it all away. I also didn't want to give this baby away, It was a part of me and a little of Shiv. Even if I lost him, I will always have a little part of him with me.

I parked my car at the usual spot and got out of the car. Cold air hit my body and I shivered as I walked towards the 52-storey building. Heat engulfed me as I entered the familiar lobby. I pressed the button to call the lift. I had to wait for a while; as I waited, I heard the clicking of heels coming towards me.

"Hey Naina! You're back so soon." I heard a sharp voice. I knew who it was. 

I put on a fake smile as I turned around to face her.

"Hey, Victoria. Missed me?" I hated that girl and I know she reciprocated the feeling.

The lift arrived and we got in. I pressed the button for the 50th floor and waited in the lift.

"Of course I did." She said. What a fake bitch, I thought. "But what the hell are you wearing?" She said looking at my outfit, her face in a disgusting expression.

It was pretty descent. A white shirt with a pencil skirt with hemline just above my knees. A matching back blazer to go with the outfit. I also wore black, 3-inched, pointed toe heels. But her outfit, on the other hand was hideous. A hot pink skirt and blazer with a black shirt and white heels. She was the one who needed to be asked what she was wearing. She looked like a Walmart version of Barbie with her outfit, blonde hair and blue eyes. 

"I'm wearing an outfit slightly better than yours. Thanks for asking." I said.

I heard her huff out. She had no reply. She had to know better than to question me while wearing clothes stolen from Barbie. Our floor arrived and we stepped out. I walked straight to my boss's office and knocked twice before entering. 

"Good morning, Mrs. White." I said as I entered.

"Good morning Naina, ready to see your new cabin?" She asked with a smile. 

"More than ready, Mrs. White." I replied.

"Oh please, call me Beth." She said as she walked out of her office, I followed her closely. I felt eyes on me as I walked. 

We entered the cabin. I was huge. Not bigger than Beth's office but still a lot bigger than my small desk. There was glass on one side, visible as we walked in. The London skyline could easily be seen. My desk was a lot bigger than the one I had before. It already had stacks of manuscripts for me to read and select for printing. There were even plants in the cabin. It was like a dream come true.

"I love it. Thank you so much Beth." I said with a huge smile.

"Oh don't thank me. You're here only because of your work. Now let me explain all the changes you will experience. You won't have to read all the manuscripts as before. They will come to you after being selected and edited, once. You will have to read them and edit them once again and also select if they have potential to be printed. Your work will be easier than what you did before but don't take that for granted. You will still have to give your hundred percent. I know you will. You can do it, You're the only person who can prove to be the best for this job. I hope you understood." She said.