13. Making Up and Breaking Up

I was having loads of mood swings that day. Partly because of the pregnancy and partly because of Victoria, the obnoxious barbie doppelgänger. She made a few comments when we met in the restroom, a few at the coffee counter at the office and a few when I stepped out of my cabin to leave the office.

I ignored almost all of them. But when it was time to leave, I lost it.

"Leaving so soon? I thought you had to do overtime with the boss, you know, the reason you got promoted. Also, making out with your hot boyfriend in your new cabin...What were you trying to show?" She said. Her voice laced with venom.

"Ah, the snake speaks again. Do you not realise our boss is a straight woman? Even after I told you? Are you really that obnoxious or just slower than a snail?" I said.

"I know what you said. And I am smarter than you think." She said and I laughed. It was a genuine laugh. "Laugh all you want but we all know how much of a whore you and your pathetic little Mrs. White are." She said and gasps erupted from around us. Everyone started chattering in hushed voices.

"Miss Bailey. Can I talk to you for a minute in my office?" Mrs. White's voice cut through the crowd and everyone stopped talking. "Naina, can you also accompany us?" She turned to me.

.

"Miss Bailey, what is this behaviour? I am giving you a chance to justify yourself." She said with authority in her voice.

"I-I was just- I was-" Victoria started but couldn't finish her sentence.

"You have no words. That is not the case when you are trying to degrade your colleagues. Am I right?" Beth said.

Victoria just put her head down in shame. We all knew she was fired. But I felt bad for her. 

Damnit! The mood swings are getting the best of me. Stop Naina! Don't say it! I thought.

"Mrs. White, what she said was utterly wrong, but I am sure she didn't mean it. Maybe you should give her another chance. I will make sure nothing of this sort ever happens again." I said politely.

Victoria looked at me with wide eyes. She was probably expecting me to add kerosene to the already burning flame and get her fired.

"Miss Dixit, I already know Miss Bailey's behaviour around the office and I have neglected it till now. But I don't think I will anymore." She said to me.

"Please, ma'am just give me another chance. I will never do anything like this again." Victoria finally said.

"Fine. This is your last warning. If I ever notice this behaviour again, you are fired. Remember that we have cameras all over the office." Beth said.

"I understand. Thank you so much. I will not disappoint you again." Victoria said.

"Good. Both of you are free to leave now." She dismissed us.

I walked straight towards the exit without acknowledging Victoria.

"Naina! Wait!" I heard her voice call me. I turned around.

"I just wanted to thank you. I have been nothing but mean to you but you helped me keep this job. I am really grateful. Thank you." She said with guilt.

"You are welcome. I never wanted to get you fired. A little competition is what you need to keep you going, right?" I told her with a smile which she returned.

I don't think we ever smiled genuinely at each other. Our smiles were always fake. I guess there is always a first time.

.