23. Mothers-in-Law Unite

I slam the door shut. I was shocked to the core.

How in the world did she know where I was?

She knocked the door again.

"Open the door, Naina. I need to talk to you." I heard her voice, slightly muffled by the closed door.

I checked my robe once again and it showed no signs of a bump. I sighed and opened up the door again.

"Come in." I said and lead her towards the sofa set which was across the hall from the bedroom where Shiv was asleep.

"Can you wait for a minute? I have to brush my teeth. There is tea in the kettle if you want. I will be back." I told her and excused myself into the bedroom. I shut the door and latched it.

I shoved his body harshly trying to wake him up. It didn't work so I took a pillow and bashed it straight on his head and continued till he woke up.

"What the-" he started but I closed his mouth with my hand.

"Shh...mom is here." I whispered.

"So what? She knows about us, why are you being secretive?"

"Mine. Not yours dumbass." I said.

"Oh. How did she know where you were?"

"I really don't know. I have to brush my teeth before she starts banging the door again." I said and made my way to the attached bathroom. I quickly brushed my teeth and walk out.

"Why is she here?" he asked me.

"I guess I will have to find out. My bump doesn't show right?"

"It doesn't. Just hold a pillow when you sit." 

I nod and start walking.

"Please, don't come out till I tell you to."

"I am not gay." he said with a smug smile and I threw the pillow kept on the couch near me at him. "I am joking. I will not walk out of here till you tell me to. Fine?"

"Good."

.

When I walk out, I saw her holding a cup in her hands, sitting on one of the chairs.

"Tell me." I said. I kept standing, I didn't want to take the chance.

"I have to tell you this. I can't let you ruin your life."

"Tell me what?"

"This engagement is just a deal your father made. I don't want you to rush into it." she said.

"I know." I said in a small voice.

"You know? And you still got engaged?" she sounded concerned.

"Yes. And why are you so worried. You weren't worried all these 24 years. Why now?"

"Can you sit down. I need to explain a lot of things to you."

"Fine." I sat on the sofa furthest to her and covered the bump with a large pillow which rested on the sofa.

"So, our group went to an orphanage the day before yesterday. I saw all those children deprived of parents. They had nothing. I felt pity for them but then I realised that even though you and your brother had all the luxuries, you didn't have actual parents who cared for you and spent time with you."

"Where are you going with this, mother?"

"I want to apologise, I was a really bad mother. I have realised it and I want to make it up to you."