12. Elena's Response

Leo was looking intently at Elena. Time had stopped for him. He was thinking hard. How could it be that he was not her type? But he liked her so much. He had never liked any girl before. It hurt a lot to be rejected.

Leandro patted Leandro at the back "Stop waiting for her to change her mind. Give her hell Leo. That's my advice."

Leo saw the fear in Elena's eyes as she visibly shook and took a step back only for her back to come close to hitting the chain of boys on the football team who had formed a circle around her. Leo felt annoyed with that. Why did she look scared? Didn't she trust him to protect her. That hurt his ego too.

Leandro asked "What's it gonna be Leo? Hell? Or limbo treatment."

Leo had enough. His eyes were on Elena as he said "Neither. Nobody is allowed to touch her."

Leandro leaned close to his brother's ear "Is that so? Leo. You let her get away..." He then turned to Elena and took a step towards her which intimidated her and she took a step back. His voice was serious and threat was behind each word "Advice for you, hippie girl ... keep out of my way or you will get hurt. The day my brother removes his protection from your side I will skin you alive." He then walked away.

Leo knew his brother was going to be like this. But he was certain his brother was not going to hurt her. Not while he had eyes for her. Leo turned to his team "Guys... I will join you for breakfast later. Now leave us please. I need to talk to Elena... alone." He emphasised on the last word like it was an order.

The boys were not happy and were giving Elena disapproving looks but didn't comment. All of them couldn't wait to see Elena fall. They were liked a team of brothers. If one brother fell they all supported him.

As the boys left, Elena hugged her arms around herself and looked around "Why did you do it?"

Leo didn't reply and just looked at her as he had his hands in his pocket. He started pacing the ground while looking at her. He was silently looking at her and thinking about what it all meant. He finally breathed " I don't think you understand how much you mean to me... I see now .... You don't like me. Who do you want me to be? What do I need to be for you to like me? Who is your type?"

Elena sighed and looked up " I want you to tell me why first... Why didn't you let your brother hurt me? Your friends... all of them wanted to see a show of power... why did you not give them what they want... You are not my type because ... of what you do and not because of who you are... I can't be with a bully..."

Leo raised an eyebrow and stopped pacing the ground "I am not a bully. But I am not a door mat. You want people to walk all over me? Do you? That won't ever happen. I am sorry if you don't like me. I wish you tried. You don't even want to give me a chance... Thanks for being honest. That's why I like you..." He then gave her a sad smile and walked away towards the cafeteria.

Elena sighed and turned "Wait. Leo."

Leo stopped and turned to her "Yes. Elena."

Elena looked away and then took a deep breath "I have guitar practice sessions and I need to help the cheer leaders... I guess we could get a soda after school tomorrow..."

As she looked at him, Elena was surprised at how his expression didn't change. He looked indifferent.

Leo shook his head "Look. You don't have to grab a soda because of my brother's threats or my team giving you funny looks. I will talk to them afterwards. They must keep their opinions to themselves. I won't ever let them hurt you. So don't worry. Don't feel obliged to go out with me when you don't like me... see you later..."

As he was about to leave, Elena said quickly "No. it's not that... I think you are right. I should get to know you and not judge you based on what I know so far about you... I will go out with you but for one soda tomorrow..."