25. Court

Leandro was sitting at the head of a long table staring at the girl who was brought to her from her dorms by the prefects.

Around the room in the oval court hearing room, there were his dean's committee who had been available to attend the hearing.

She was sitting on a chair as she was writing her statement of what had happened. Leandro had Melanie's statement too right in front of him and was going to compare it. When Melanie had named Ingrid, he expected it. He had studied the security camera footages from around the campus. He had noted every single person who had talked to jean that day. He had done that before going to Melanie. He suspected Ingrid. Melanie confirmed it. Ingrid was half German from her mother's side and half Italian from her father's side. She was the bad apple far from the tree. Her family were alright. Her cousin Irena was especially one of the girls who was a model student. Irena was in fact on the dean committee.

Ingrid had caused incidents before and was quite rude to people. It was time someone taught her a big lesson beyond detentions and writing lines.

Leandro stood up and walked to her as she dropped her pen. He silently picked up the paper and had a read. It was pretty much similar to what Melanie had told him. With some new details. He handed Ingrid's statement  to one of the two prefects standing at either side of Ingrid "Photocopy this and hand one copy out to the committee members." He then turned to Ingrid "While we wait for the committee to read your statement, you have ten minutes to think of a defence statement. Write one. You will be heard once. You can talk about apologies, regrets or denying charges."

Leandro went back to his seat and sat down. After exactly ten minutes he demanded "Stand up Ingrid Bianchi."

Ingrid stood up.

Leandro said "You have obviously broken multiple rules of conduct. Do you anything to say in your defence?"

Ingrid said "Yes. I do. Everything I told jean she deserved it. I have no regrets and I am not willing to apologise. I don't deny any statements and I don't have any regrets. She is a pathetic little ugly princess with a squeaky voice who should just leave.

Leandro was happy to hear her plea. Her defiance meant he didn't have to give her any concessions of any kind. He knew she was not sorry. She was nasty and had a track record. She was not expelled because her family were not bad. They just were as helpless in handling her and always apologised for her behaviour.

Leandro said "You are guilty."

He didn't hear any objections from his committee. They were silent.

Leandro turned to the committee "Irena. Are you objecting?"

Irena said "No. She should be expelled."

Ingrid turned to Irena "Shame on you. I am not getting expelled. I want to go to Harvard."

Leandro said to himself "Not with that attitude." He was again happy Ingrid wanted to stay. Expulsion could be arranged. His father would have gladly expelled her. Ingrid was on her last warning but always alternatives were considered before expulsion. He was glad Ingrid wanted to explore those. Expelling her would not have taught her anything.

Leandro looked directly at Ingrid "You won't be expelled. Unless you choose to be expelled. There are other options."

Ingrid said "I don't choose expulsion. I can endure anything. I am not weak and pathetic like jean."

Leandro turned to Irena "You are her family. Do you have any special requests. I am willing to consider it. She deserves the maximum punishment but I am willing to consider your input."