26. Shock

Melanie was at the door of Jean's dorm. She knocked a few times and jean opened the door.

Jean said "Hi Mel."

Melanie said "Hi. Can I talk to you?"

Jean asked "What's wrong?" She could tell something was wrong. Melanie seemed quite worried and tense.

Melanie said "You know... how you explained to me what Ingrid did."

Jean said "Yes."

Melanie said "Leandro came to see me and asked me about it."

Jean gasped "How much did you tell him?"

Melanie said "Everything."

Jean closed her eyes "Damn it."

Melanie said "I know you asked me not to tell. He asked me to tell him everything and I did."

Jean opened her eyes "I am sorry if I put you in this situation. I shouldn't have told you. It's my fault."

Melanie said "What? No jean. I am glad you told me. If you don't tell me what are friends for. I was going to try to convince you to tell Leandro anyway. I didn't want to break your trust. You made me swear not to tell. I am glad he asked me to tell him. But jean ... I heard what they are doing to her. Irena is on the dean committee and is a friend. She told me. You won't like it. Her punishment is public. I know you wanted this matter to be resolved privately. I know you wanted to talk to her but you can't possibly expect your man to just accept a simple apology."

Jean asked "What are they going to do to her?"

Melanie said "She is being punished now. The whole night and indefinitely until she wises up. Come. I will tell you on the way and will show you where she is."

Jean left and followed Melanie.

Melanie asked "Isn't Jacob home?"

Jean said "No. He is in library. He has to write lines because in his detention he refused to read the handbook like everyone else. He has to copy the rule book by hand and hand it to Leandro tomorrow."

Melanie said "Your brother is lucky. People get much worse for acting up in detention."

Jean followed Mel to the Dean's office.

jean asked "So whats going to happen to her."

***

After Ingrid's punishment was done, she was left in the room to moan in pain as Leandro patiently discussed other matters with his committee. Others pretended Ingrid wasn't there and didnt spare her a glance. He was there for a good two hours. Then he dismissed his committee.

After all the committee left the boardroom, Leandro was left behind. He watched Ingrid as she was hurting. Then he thought her tongue had burnt enough.  He then stood up walking towards her slowly and he noticed how she looked more tense now that the protection of committee was gone. He had brought her to his committee to deal with and had played down the personal vendetta he had against her. But now that she was alone with him, she could feel the danger as she looked up at him and was hugging her hands around her.

Leandro noticed her wince as he swiftly took off the device around her head and threw it on the table. She looked confused and then reached for the milk and drank it.

Leandro went back to his seat and sat down at the head of the table. Ingrid was still restrained to the table but not by her hands. He watched her pour herself more milk from the jar. Meanwhile, he took out an apple from his pocket and a knife from the drawer inside the table as he started pealing his apple.