46. Home Coming (Part 4)

The next activity was bowling. Levane was acing all her throws. 

Jacob said "You are very good."

Levane said "Thank you."

Jacob asked "Do you want a drink? I am getting one for me."

Levane said to herself "Handsomeness offers. I think I take it this time." She said "Sure."

Jacob walked to the refreshments stand. Levane was watching him as she picked up the ball to have another throw but stopped in her tracks when she saw a group of girls approaching Jacob. She suddenly felt a fire igniting inside her as Jacob was giving his full attention now to them. He had stopped walking and was talking to them. What did they want? She didnt know why but the thought of him talking to other girls bothered her. She shook her thoughts. How dare he talk to others? He seemed friendly too with them. He was being his handsomness, gentleness self. 

After she came back with the drinks she grabbed her drink and stared at him "What did those girls want? Do you know them?"

He said "They were from a different school. They wanted to know if I was Jacob Neuer. They knew me because of football." He sighed "I dont know how they heard about me. They wanted autographs. They thought I would be famous one day in the football circle."

She said "You dont sound very happy. Don't you like the attention?"

Jacob said "Not really. I never wanted to continue football. People get hurt on the field when I am there. I wanted to quit sports all together but when I came here my plans had to change. Lets say this school is good at pushing the students in the direction it wants. Now I will see what happens in the games. If people get hurt I may need to talk to leandro." He didnt even know where it all came from. He had never confided in anyone about why he wanted to quit sports. He had found himself telling Levane. 

She was surprised "Its not your problem if people get hurt. Its part of the game. You shouldn't throw away the chance to earn yourself possible scholarships because you are considerate to others. People who let themselves into football know what they are doing. Its not like people die. They just get injured. It happens." She then narrowed her eyes "What else did those girls want? Besides autographs I mean. Your conversation took long."

Jacob chuckled "One asked me out."

She snapped "Which one?"

Jacob said "I dont know their names. They were from another school. I told you."

She asked quickly "Did you say yes?"

Jacob said "No."

She said "Good."

Jacob raised an eyebrow "Why is it good that I said no?"

She said "Because I have a feeling you weren't their type. None of the girls seemed like your kind of girl."  

****

It was the end of the night and everyone was doing the last dance. Nicandro was standing alone watching everyone dance. He had missed Gretchen so much.

Then he saw her. She had honoured her word. She had saved him a dance. She approached him and Nicandro smiled.

On the other side of the dance hall Maria Angela was sitting with Lochlan. They were watching the dances.

Maria Angela said "Cant you dance just a little bit?"

Lochlan said "I dont like this. I dont dance. You can dance if you want."

Maria Angela had enough "Fine. I go dance alone." She made her way to the dance floor.

As Maria Angela started dancing alone, she felt Lochlan's eyes on her. He was following her every move. She decided to go to another part of the dance floor. As she made her way to another side, she saw Declan Sawyer alone dancing. She asked "Hi Declan what happened to your date? Why are you dancing alone?"