Part 56

Next morning it was usual business Mehak got up early showered and started to prepare Shaurya's oats and coffee as breakfast. Shaurya after finished his breakfast left for work. Since it was Onam festival and she decided to make some laddoo and Balusha for Mrs Srinivas and her family. She gets into work preparing the sweet dishes. Once done and she packed it nicely she went to Mrs Srinivas house and greeted them for the Onam and she presented them with the homemade desserts. Mrs Srinivas house was pleasantly decorated with and Mehak awed how it was all arranged. With fresh flowers hanged on the walls all over the house and many delicious foods arranged in the living area with large floral arrangement laid on the floor. Mrs Srinivas was wearing her traditional attire the Kerala Saree in white with golden border with jasmine tucked in her hair. The entire house smell sweet with jasmine and rose petals was in the floating in a brass container in the centerpiece with diyas lightened creating calm and serene environment. The walls adorn with colorful Kerala mask which is bright and flamboyant to bring in the festival mood. Neev came in to wish Mehak and Mehak kneel down and said he looking cute as he was wearing the traditional mundu. Mrs Srinivas asked Mehak to sit down and Mehak asked more about Onam special and why is it celebrated, Mrs Srinivas explained it's a celebration to welcome King Mahabali into the house in the ancient days Vishnu asked for the land and Kerala was used to prosper under the ruling of the King Mahabali. It is celebrated for10 days and each days it has own agenda. Here they are at Bangalore they will gather to celebrate with all Malayalis.

Mrs Srinivas patiently explains what they do on every day from the first day of celebration which is Atham, 2nd day Chithira, 3rd. day Chodhi, 4th day Vishakam, 5th day Anizham the snake boat festival, 6th day Triketa, 7 th day Moolam where they wear the costume of tiger and do tiger dance, 8 th day Pooradam, 9 th day Uthradam and the final celebration on 10 th day Thiruvonam together with how they do 26 types of dishes to make the celebration extra special. Mehak asked usually the floor decorations are done with colored powder in rangolis but theirs is special done with flowers. Mrs Srinivas continued it's called as Pookalam and as the celebration continues the design will expand and becomes bigger as well. Mrs Srinivas notice Mehak was wearing her long Anarkali suit and ask her to wait for a while she went in her room. She came out in a while with a Kerala saree and handed over to Mehak, Mehak looked at her blinked her eyes as she place the kasavu material on her hand. Mrs Srinivas suggested her to wear that Kerala saree and follow her for the event organized by the Bangalore Malayalis. Mehak was excited as well she was like how to suddenly go without informing Shaurya. Mrs Srinivas asked her to call Shaurya and inform about it and comes along with her. Mehak quickly dialed his number and told about the Onam gathering and asked her to go ahead as he will be busy till evening. She hang up and happily went to get ready for the Onam gathering with Mrs Srinivas. She tied the saree and paired with a maroon blouse. Mrs Srinivas adjusted and helped to pinned her saree pallu. Before leaving she assist to tie up her hair into half pony tail and adorned with jasmine flowers and her placing a red bindhi on her forehead. Neev came and sees Mehak and said didi you are looking gorgeous, take a picture and send to hero. Mehak giggled and they leave for the gathering.

At the Onam celebration, Mrs Srinivas introduced Mehak to all her friends and after a while all the ladies gathered for performing their traditional dance which is Kaikotti Kali. Mehak started to record them as the ladies encircle a brass lamp. They are clad in traditional Kerala saree bedeck their tied hair with jasmine flower strands and accessorize themselves with gold jewelry. The dancers move downwards, move sideways in order to go in sync and clap with their fellow dancers. The graceful and symmetric steps of the group dance are backed by rhythmic music of the song that is sung in the background, by two to four women.

After this performance another group of girls performed for some songs and Mehak enjoyed watching their performance which includes Kathakali, Kummatti Kali and many more. She enjoyed herself with Neev and Mrs Srinivas. Later join the rest of them for the Onam Sadya session where the feast consisting variety of vegetarian dishes served on banana leaf. It has almost 28 types of dishes with variety of taste. It was almost evening and they left for home. They continue chit chat about the event till they reach home. Mehak thanked them for bringing her to a wonderful event as she learn a lot about Kerala culture and especially their food which was so delicious. Neev pulled her and she kneel down to his level, she asked with her eyebrows raised. Di can you marry me once I grown up, Mehak and Mrs Srinivas laughed hearing it and she pulled his ears, you will grow up but I will grow old so will you marry me then, Innocent Neev said let me grow up but you don't grow first then I will marry you, Mehak bid good evening to them and goes to her home.