Chapter 53

Ryan's POV
The door knocked. I bet it was the principal trying to fuck things up for us once again. I sighed as I buried my head in Brendon's old pillow that I took from his old bed. His scent was vague, already fading. But I still held onto the little of it that was left. The little of him. But even though he wasn't here in his physical form, he was still in my mind, perfectly whole.

"Who is it?" Pete shouted suspiciously from Gerard's bed.

No reply.

My heart was beating faster and faster, the blood pounding in my ears. It was definetely the principal with some huge comeback. I stared wide-eyed at the door, waiting for it to burst open, waiting for the shitbag to walk inside with the stupidest grin on his face.

Suddenly Pete motioned for me to move so he could get up. I did as he wished and pretty much fell on top of Spencer's tummy.

"Ow." Spencer laughed to lighten up the tense silence in the room. We were all too eager yet too scared to know who was behind the door. Heck, maybe we're overreacting. But if I learnt anything the past days I've learnt that there is no such thing as overreacting. We react the way we do because of who we are, what we've done, what we've been done to. No one reacts the exact same way to anything.

I sat up once again and watched as Pete took firm steps towards the wooden door, towards the only barricade between us and possibly a horrible future.

Pete slowly pushed the doorknob down and the door creaked open slowly.

I could not see who it was behind the door, I could not see the expression on Pete's face changing within half a second, yet I knew. I knew. I felt it. He was here.

"Bro!" Pete squealed and pretty much jumped into the man's arms. I could only see his hands on Pete's back. His soft hands. But it was enough to be certain it was him. I'd recognize them anywhere.

When Pete pulled back and turned around with a huge grin on his face and winked at me I finally saw him. He walked inside and closed the door. He was here. Was he here? What if this is just a dream? What if I'm hallucinating? If so, this is the best dream, the best hallucination I'll ever have.

"Brendon." I whispered as tears filled my eyes. And for the first time in a long time they were made out of happiness. The biggest smile covered his face, the curves making his left eye squint that way it does whenever he smiles too big. His hair was messier than ever, even messier than mine, but I didn't care, because it was him.

Him, him, him.

All of him. Flesh and blood, chemicals and thoughts, a beating heart.

But he was so much more than just that. He was my moon, my sun, my stars, my planets, my universe.

I stood up without hesitation and ran up to him, wrapping my arms around his slim body and squeezing him tightly as I buried my face in the crook of his neck. The vague scent of him I smellt a couple of seconds ago was now stronger. I inhaled deeply, chills going through my body as I felt truly relaxed and safe for the first time since he left.

His hands were everywhere. They were on my back, my shoulders, my arms, my hands, my face, my hair. He was probably just as shocked as me, not knowing whether this was reality or an imagination.

This was so surreal yet so real.

"You're here." I whispered happily.

"I'm here, baby, I'm here." He whispered just as quietly, still loud enough for me to hear. His sweet, sweet voice cracked in the middle. He was crying as well and refused to let me go. But that was okay. I wouldn't let go of him either.