Chapter 24

A/N

Youtube Playlist: (The Dark Witch: Unknown)

Song; (Christian Reindhl- Purity of Silence)

"I hope you're prepared for a war, Steve. Because I'm giving one to you,"

Steve could remember how she looked at him.

He could remember how her obsidian eyes glazed, filled with something he never thought could fill her eyes.

Coldness.

Emptiness.

Nothing.

Even now, after a few hours later, he can physically feel her touch. Her gentle caress and the kiss she gave him.

He would be lying if he said he didn't respond.

Because he did.

He did, respond because his body, mind and soul, knows it's her.

He sees her in his dreams sometimes. Memories, he calls them.

Memories he'd never wanted to forget.

But every time he woke up, there would be this dreadful pit of silence.

The silence that told him she was dead.

Was she?

Was she really?

Despite how impossible that was.

Nobody spoke what was on their minds.

Nobody dared to bring it up.

Only minimal words were exchanged.

Steve, Natasha, Sam, Wanda and Vision all dutifully clambered out the Quinjet, features grave and solemn.

They entered the parlor of the Avengers Facility, a place they once called home, and saw Colonel James Rhodes, wearing the legs braces and angrily discussing the problem with the council.

Steve saw his former friend and let out a tired sigh. It's been two years.

A lot of things have changed.

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel." Secretary Ross argued back through the hologram projection.

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that." Rhodey answered back, discreetly staring at his fallen legs.

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore." He sighs.

Both males abruptly turned to the side, upon seeing familiar shadows appear through the corridor.

Steve steps forward first, followed by Natasha.

Vision was slowly being supported by Sam and Wanda, the younger girl refusing to leave Vision's side.

"Mr. Secretary." The former captain hashed out, keeping his tone clipped.

Secretary Ross approach the former Captain, a scowl on his face. "You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now." Natasha answered, shrugging mindlessly.

They had no time to waste with a person who knew nothing of the dangers that were to come.