Chapter 39

Youtube Playlist: (The Dark Witch: Unknown)

Song; (Evolving sound- Embers)

Before I could reply to Strange, a sudden drop of energy behind me makes me run, just in time to catch Tony as he slumps, his eyelids growing heavy.

I slowly eased him back to sit up, well aware of everyone staring at us.

I don't bother paying attention.

My focus is to my brother in front of me.

Supporting his shoulder my other hand worked to heal his wound, the black stitching the tissue and muscles that have been torn when the blade went through.

He doesn't speak when I do this. Just stares at me in complete silence.

It's the first time in two years since I've gone up and personal with my brother.

I expect to feel something, anything.

But I don't.

Nothing to stop the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

When I'm done, and I move to step away, he grabs my arm, holding me still. "Why?"

For a minute, I contemplate telling him but I decided I had too.

"Because you don't get to die like this,"

The honesty in my voice sparks something in his eyes.

"Not from how I saw it. Not from how I want it."

Stepping away from the fallen heroes, I turn my back on them and make eye contact with Spider-Man, who flinches once he realize he's been caught staring and promptly looked away.

Holding in a breath, I created a black hole, ready to leave and do my part in this war I helped start.

"Lorelie..."

The name is a harsh reminder and as it slips out of Tony mouth I hear the hope in it.

The hope that I've returned to who I once was.

I shut my eyes, blocking it out.

I'll never go back to her.

Even if I tried.

"That's not my name. Not anymore."

It was time to finish what I started.

Titan dissolves around me and for the first time in years, I'm glad I see Earth's luscious greenery.

The trees are empowering.

The air is silent.

It would've been better if I stayed dead.

Around me, the battlefield is scarce. Not a soul to see.

Except for the dead.

When I search the grounds for familiar energy waves, I find none.

They're all... gone.

Gone.

No Avengers.

No Black Order.

In the background someone is screaming.

I hear this the same moment blinding pain strikes me directly in the forehead.