Chapter 47

Youtube Playlist: (The Dark Witch: Unknown)

Song; (David Celeste- Memories of Her)

2018

"How is she?"

"Awake and... unresponsive."

"Unresponsive?"

"Well after what Thanos said... it made sense. He destroyed the stones now her connection to it is gone."

Who were they talking about?

I can't seem to understand where I am.

I try to respond but my body is still.

I try to speak but my lips remain close.

"Steve, I think she knew what had happened. She just didn't say anything."

There's a long pause before the voice speaks up. "Why?"

"To protect herself? To protect us? Because I sure as hell don't know what I would do if she were to tell me the only chance to get the others back is now gone."

There's sounds of people shifting around and what sounded like footsteps nearing where I sat, eyes blank, staring at the blurry wall.

"What did Tony make of this?"

"He's back in the lab, trying to figure out why she's... here but not here." The person takes a deep breath before releasing an exhale.

"Steve... it's not looking good."

I can feel their stares on me.

I can feel their worry, concern, regret.

Guilt.

"Tony says the scans he's taking of her brain waves are... sub sufficient. There's an unusual amount of helical protein filaments throughout the core front of her skull-"

"Bruce, I'm not a doctor." There's frustration in the person's voice.

The responding male takes a deep breath to steady himself.

"It means... her body is here but her mind isn't. It happens when... well, there's no easier way to say this. It happens when people suffer from Alzheimer."

Silence.

Long, dead, cold, silence.

"How... how is that possible?"

"We don't know,"

I know this is bad news.

But maybe this is a good thing.

I don't want to be awake.

I just want to drift.

It's better this way.

Better for them.

"It's possible, that her connection with the stones might have caused a chaotic reverse reaction. She could be here and gone the next-"

"You're saying she may not remember any of us?"

Then I know that voice.

Through the void, through the dark waves, I'm smothered by, I remembered, that voice.