12. Trouble in Paradise

"I'm telling you Em. Adam is nothing like Justin and Noah." I stressed as we both strode towards the school ground. Emily was reminding me of the same rumors again after I told her what happened on Sunday and how Adam cooked for me.

I started again, "I know he is annoying and downright narcissistic. But I don't think he can harm anyone. Not physically at least."

Though nothing can be said about his stinging words that torture me mentally.

"I.. I just don't want you to get hurt." she responded back.

"I know I-" my words stopped in my throat when a crowd of students at some distance caught my attention. They were assembled around a corner, their backs were facing us. Few gasps and loud curses arose from them and another masculine scream reached our ears.

Emily and I rushed towards he gathering. We pushed passed the crowd and reached forwards to see what was happening. The scene unfolded in front of our eyes and I screeched in fear and surprise.

A tall, lean boy was pinned to the wall and a strong hand was enveloped around his neck. The thing that shook me to my core was that the hand belonged to Adam. His jaw was clenched tightly and his hard, emotionless eyes were fixated on the boy whose face was turning blue. The boy struggled with his hands and feet but Adam was more powerful than him. He didn't give him any chance to free himself.

Nobody tried to separate them, they just stood there watching the scene. The boy looked like he was about to crash. Without thinking, I rushed towards them and tried to separate Adam from him.

"Leave him." I shouted, forcing his arm away but Adam didn't listen to me. Instead, his grip tightened even more.

"He will die Adam. Leave him." I struggled again, only to hear him growl this time.

I applied maximum force and that's when Adam pushed me away. I ended up on the hard floor, moaning in pain. Adam's face left all its color when he realized what he had done and guilt replaced the anger in his eyes. Without saying a word, he turned around and ran out of the garden, leaving me startled.

Emily bent down and helped me stand up. I hissed in pain when I put my weight on my feet. It felt like my ankle had been sprained. With her help, I sat down on a nearby bench.

"I.. I don't understand," I felt at loss of words. "What happened to him?" I mumbled in a low voice, the scene continuously playing in my head.

"I heard that the boy said something bad about his family." Emily informed.

"Family?" I looked at her in confusion.

"Yeah. His real family. I've heard that it is a sensitive topic." she continued, checking my injury.

"I.. I've never saw him this angry." I grieved. "He looked like he was about to kill him."

I have never watched anything this violent. Sure in movies I have, but never in real life. Few more minutes and he would have killed him. Just like that. He would have murdered his dreams, his ambitions. He would have snatched him from his family forever. He would have robbed him of the chance of being in love, finding a dream job, getting married.

Just like that.

...

I stopped the car in front of my front gate and exited slowly. My ankle throbbed with pain and I yelled,
"Ouch."

I was about to seat back inside when a hand gripped my arm and strong masculine scent enveloped me.

"Come on. Let me get you inside." Adam's low voice hit my ears and I angled my neck to look at him. His face looked drained of all emotions and a thick coat of indifference was coating his eyes.