51. Party Time

It was Monday, the day he will be returning to school. And despite everything that had happened between us, a little part of me was still excited to see him. Mrs. Cooper had already entered the class and started teaching but he was still not there. My anxiety heightened with every passing second and I started tapping my foot on the ground.

"May I come in?" a voice said and my head jerked to the source of the voice.

He was there, standing in the doorframe, waiting for Mrs. Cooper to invite him in. And when she did, he entered in the classroom and looked around for an empty seat.

My heart thudded inside my chest as his eyes landed on me and the empty chair beside me. With slow steps, he walked towards that seat but without casting another glance at me.

There was something peculiar in the way he looked at me. There wasn't any hostility or aversion but there wasn't any warmth either. It was just blank, as if for him, there was no difference between the rest of the class and me.

And it hurts.

He was sitting so close to me, close enough to talk.

But he didn't.

After the class ended, I stole a glance at him. There were huge dark circles under his eyes and he looked thinner than before. Nevertheless, still the most handsome guy I have ever seen.

Before he could catch me looking at him, I took my notebooks and made my way out of the class, to the school gym.

...

"Here comes the lovey dovey couple." Sophia giggled as Emily and Damien made their way to the Cafe, their hands locked with each other. Although they looked happy, there was a strange emptiness in Emily's eyes.

"Hi." she gave us an unusually wide smile, indicating that I was right before.

"Hi." I smiled back as both of them sat down in front of us.

We were talking about our finals, that were approaching soon when Noah appeared out of nowhere and sat down beside me, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"What are we eating?" he said, looking around.

"We aren't eating anything." Sophia rolled her eyes and said. "What made you think your narcissistic ass can sit with us?"

"Heyyy.. No need to be rude, Cheer captain. Alicia loves my company. Right?" he cocked his head towards me and asked.

"Umm.." my eyes shifted between Sophia and Noah. "He can sit here." This earned me an "ooh" from Noah and a hiss from Sophia.

After their little spat was over, we ordered some food for us, all the while conversing on different topics.

Before we could leave for our respective classes, a guy came to us and said, "Hey guys, there's a party at my house tonight. Everybody is invited." I kept looking at his retreating figure because I have never talked to that boy but he still invited me and everyone else to his party. Is that how things work in high school?

"Are we going?" Sophia asked.

"That guy Finn, he is in the music society so I guess I'll be going." Damien said and turned his attention towards Emily. "Will you come with me babe?"

Emily blushed at first, looking shyly at us before muttering, "Sure."

"Well, I'm going too. Not that anybody asked." It was Noah who intervened. He lower lip was jutted out, which was probably his poor attempt at pouting.

I stared at Sophia, mindlinking her for her opinion. She shrugged, indicating that we should join them too.

"Great." Emily said excitedly as all of us stood up to leave for our next class.