72. Playing Cupid

"Although it may not be easy to see, every accomplishment you achieve is added to the world's accomplishments. Your individual successes benefit society as a whole because when you succeed, you lighten the burden on your fellow man. When you succeed, you are in a position to give rather than take."

Adam's voice rose in the halls and everyone listened to him carefully. His words weren't extra ordinary, neither was his delivery style, but something about his overall presence demanded attention of everyone around him. His voice held command, his eyes had the ability to silence everyone and watching him do that was a major turn-on. Sigh.

I knew one thing. He is going to be a something big in the future. He wasn't a man made for an average life, he was extra-ordinary and I was not. I knew this fact and I accepted it.

When his speech ended, I was the first one who started clapping, even earned Dad's furrowed frown at my enthusiasm.

After the valedictorian speeches, Principal Brown announced our names one by one. Adam's name was in the first few students and the tension between Mr. Brown and him was palpable. The Principal even smiled a little but Adam kept his face hard, without any emotion. When it was my turn, I forced a smile on my face because in reality, I hated his guts. This day was really important for me and I didn't want to spoil it for anyone.

"We did it." I said to Emily as we made way towards our fathers, waiting for us at a corner. Sophia was nowhere to be seen so we assumed that she was with her cheerleaders for a group photo or something.

"Dad." I showed him the graduation certificate once I reached him.

"I'm so proud of you Ali." he said, patting my shoulder. "You did it." At my side, Emily was doing the same, hugging her Dad and showing him her certificate.

Excusing ourselves and leaving our Dads to discuss about the politics, we searched around for Sophia. On our way to the bathrooms, we passed by Chloe and her mother, Emily's mother. She was so different than Emily. Dressed in an expensive business dress, she patted Emily's shoukder with her manicured fingers when she noticed her and congratulated her in a rather reserved, professional manner.

"She looks cold." I commented once we reached the bathrooms.

"She is." she agreed.

Sophia wasn't inside the bathroom so after retouching our makeup, we walked back into the hall. It was time for Graduation photo so everyone gathered into the school's ground. Standing beside Adam, I praised about his speech. "You nailed it." I commented, lacing his fingers with mine.

"You are lying. Aren't you?" he raised his eyebrows.

"Believe me, I'm not." I said honestly. He passed me one of his rare smiles and pecked me on lips. We were arranging in our assigned positions when I watched Sophia rushing towards us. Her straightened hair were a mess, as if someone had run fingers through them and her lipstick was smudged.

"Where were you?" I asked once she reached us. Blush crept her cheeks and she averted her eyes.

"Wait. You had quickie during our graduation ceremony?" I gaped at her flustered face.

She gulped once and then coughed to clear her throat. "Well, you did the same on prom night." she attacked back and I choked on the air.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Well, it was pretty evident." she smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"At least tell me who's the lucky boy." I giggled and she glared at me with her big brown eyes.

"You don't know him." she said in sullen voice. "Besides, I regret it already."

"Why? Was it that bad?" I asked.