BONUS CHAPTER 1

After a long hectic day in the ER, my shift finally ended and I dragged my exhausted body to the changing room to get myself out of the stinking scrub.

Being a second year surgical intern wasn't easy, specially when you know you have to go back to an empty apartment with no edible food to eat. My stomach growled at the thought and I begged it to bear with me for few more minutes.

Deciding to order chinese today, I changed into my regular jeans and shirt and walked out of the changing room. While I walked towards the elevator, each part of my body ached. I haven't slept in last two days and haven't eaten anything except granola bars and juice.

Thankfully, I don't have work tomorrow. I can sleep like a dog and nobody will be here to disturb me.

As soon as I entered the elevator, I groaned in irritation. "Not now Ben." I requested him and pushed the button of 1st floor.

"What?" he shrugged nonchalantly. "I'm just saying won't you prefer having someone to go back to in this unknown city?"

Ben was known as a huge douchebag and manwhore and I was his next target. He was a third year resident and had a slightest bit of authority over me.

"Do I need to spell it out for you? I HAVE A BOYFRIEND." I emitted a frustrated sigh.

"Is long distance relationship still a thing?" he mocked me.

"Yes." I said. "They are."

"What about your boyfriend? How do you know he won't cheat on you with a nerdy Princeton's scientist?" he asked and I broke out in laughter.

"Cheat? My Adam? Ha ha!" I taunted, making a contorted face.

His tanned face blushed in embarrassment and he frowned. "Whatever King. You're missing out on life." he shrugged and walked past me.

Shaking my head at him, I pulled out my phone and called Adam. Few minutes have passed when he answered the call with an exhausted "Hi Ali!"

"Hey baby." I said as I walked towards the parking. "Missing me?"

"Nope. I almost forgot about you." he said and I gave him a fake laugh. "Seriously." he added and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I do miss you." I admitted, getting into my car. "I can't wait to see you and hug the life out of you."

I heard his deep, throaty chuckle from the other side of the phone. "Really?" he asked. I could imagine him raising his pointy eyebrows.

"Yes." I smiled. "Okay bye for now. I'll call you once I reach my apartment." I said and cut the call.

Talking to him every night washes away every bit of exhaustion in my body. It's been a month since I last visited him and neither him nor I found any time for another visit. Both of our jobs were really hectic and it was really difficult to live without him.

Just few more years.

...

As soon as I reached my apartment, a surprise awaited me. I opened the door and the smell of masculine perfume greeted me.

"Adam!" I called his name. He was here, I could feel it. I searched for the light switch but before I could do so, a hand pulled me to a hard chest and engulfed me in a hug.

"Happy birthday!" he said and planted a kiss on my lips. I returned his kiss desperately and within no time, slid my tongue inside his mouth, tracing every nook and corner.

I had forgotten about my birthday because of the tough routine. But he remembered, even though his schedule was just as tight.

He pinned me to a wall and switched the lights on, without breaking the kiss. It has been a month since I last kissed him so little desperation was allowed.