52. My Poor Heart

"What's he doing here?" I asked Noah who himself looked surprised.

"How would I know?" he replied, shrugging. "Want me to go and ask?"

"No. I don't want to know." I lied, hiding the curiosity arising in my mind. "Let's dance."

He hesitated a bit, his attention still focused on his brother so I turned him around so that his back was facing Adam now.

"I wonder what is going on in his mind." Noah said while lacing his fingers with mine as the song shifted to a slow one.

"Everybody is wondering that." I gritted as my eyes followed his movement. He looked like a lost puppy, despite the mask of confidence on his face. He was looking around himself, searching for someone. His search stopped when his eyes met mine and he ran fingers through his hair.

Averting my eyes from him, I turned my attention back to Noah who looked lost in his own thoughts. "Don't worry. Give him some time. I'm sure he will understand." I tried to console him.

Noah was not like his father. After the huge revelation, he had made up his mind to amend his relationship with his newly discovered family but if he thought that Adam would just automatically forgive him for unknowingly hurting him, he had another thing coming.

While dancing with him, I kept my eyes on Adam who was now chugging a liquid from a glass. By the way his face contorted on taking its first sip, two things were clear. First, it was alcohol. Second, he wasn't used to drinking it.

After one glass, his expressions started to relax as his eyes once again moved towards my dancing figure. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he picked another bottle from the table and poured in the glass. This time, his face didn't contort as he drank the whole glass in one take.

"Hey." Noah waved his hand in front of me, distracting me from Adam. "Distracted much?"

"Um.. I.. I think I should go and check Sophia." I said, excusing myself and made my way towards Adam who was now on his fourth glass.

"You have had enough of it." I said, pulling the glass out of his hand.

"Don't be a party pooper." he said, his voice rough from the drinking. Pulling the glass back from my hand, he refilled it again and attached it with his lips.

"You know what.. Suit yourself. I'm not your babysitter anyway." I said, reminding myself of his harsh words when he blamed me for every bad thing that had happened to him.

"Gladly." he said, temporarily pulling the glass away from his lips.

Dragging myself to the kitchen, I passed between couples who were kissing each other passionately and reached the refrigerator. Pulling a bottle of apple juice out, I poured half of it in a glass and took few sips.

After my stomach calmed down, I left the kitchen and looked around for any familiar face. There were boys and boys everywhere, looking for any opportunity to get laid tonight. Even Adam and Noah were nowhere in sight.

In search of my friends, I reached the lawn but the only person I found there was Justin, drinking himself to oblivion. Returning to the house, I climbed the stairs and reached the second floor.

I needed to pee but wherever I go, there were people already there, either vomiting on the floor or getting it on with someone.

When I peeked inside the last room, I jumped up in surprise. The same scene again, an almost naked girl kissing an almost naked boy's neck. But there was one difference.

This time, the guy involved was Adam.

Tears welled inside my eyes as I attempted to close the door with trembling hands but before doing so, I noticed something.