Chapter Eight

"Andy," Dad says. I blink and shake my head. I must be imagining things. But I look, and Colton's still sitting in the booth.

I walk over to the booth. "Uh, hi, Alex. Hi, Colton," I say. My dad sits down and gestures for me to sit next to Colton.

"Hi, Andy," Alex says, smiling warmly. "I'm sure this is a bit strange."

"Little bit," I say. I look at Colton. "Did you know?"

He's leaning partly against the back of the both and partly against the wall. "I found out this morning when we picked up your dad," he says. There's something slightly different about him, but I can't figure out what it is.

"I know you guys have a past," Dad says. "But you might as well get along," Dad starts.

"Because we're spending Christmas together," Alex finishes. They're finishing each other's sentences. It's so cute I almost can't deal with it. But then I realize what Alex said.

I look at Colton. "Wait, what?" I ask.

He frowns. "Really, Ma?" We both look at each other and then at our parents.

"We're spending Christmas together," Alex says again as she laces her hand with Dad's. He smiles affectionately at her.

It's so odd to see him being affectionate. He never looked at my mom like that, but it's not hard to see why. Mother was a terrible woman, and I think he was only married to her for me. He divorced her shortly after I graduated high school.

"How long have you been together?" I ask.

"About a year," Dad says.

Colton frowns again. "Why did you wait a year to tell us?"

Alex shrugs. "We were just waiting for the right time. You guys were both in New York—"

"Wait," I say, looking at Colton. "Why the fuck were you in New York? You said you were visiting a family friend?"

"Uh," Colton starts.

Dad frowns. "What do you mean 'you said'?"

My cheeks redden. "We were on the same flight." I look at Colton again. "Why were you in New York?"

Colton doesn't say anything. Alex stares at him strangely. "He was there with his girlfriend—"

"Ma," he says, cutting her off. The girlfriend that broke up with him. Oh.

"What?" she asks.

"Why are you in New York?" Dad asks. "I thought you were in Boston."

"I, uh, go to NYU now. Bryce got a job out of college and they wanted him in New York. So, we went there." My cheeks are definitely red now.

Alex frowns. "Bryce Atkinson?" she asks. "Colton's best friend from high school?"

I don't think my cheeks could get any redder. "That's the one."

Colton and I look at each other and then quickly look away. I stare at the menu, but don't seem to read it.

"So..." Dad says, trying to break the awkward silence, "should we order?"

"Yeah," Alex says, smiling at him.

Colton shift and his leg brushes mine. He jerks it away quickly. "Sorry," he mutters.

I frown. He never used to say sorry. He was always in my space. Either his leg was against mine or his foot was obnoxiously tapping mine.

"What can I get you guys?" the waitress asks. I look up. Dad and Alex both order.