Chapter Thirty-Six

It's Sunday and Colton hasn't called back. I'm starting to lose hope, not that there was much to begin with.

Things with Bryce are fine, almost good even. He's been thoughtful and he's taking things slow. He hasn't tried to kiss me yet, and I don't know what it's going to feel like when he finally does because everything else has felt slightly strange.

I keep thinking about how Colton cupped my face in his hands and kissed me softly. I keep trying to remember what he felt like, but it's like he slips a little bit farther out of reach with each day that passes by.

I'm starting to truly realize what it means. Colton is not going to have a relationship with me, and even though it feels strange to be with Bryce, there's no sense in saying goodbye to our relationship yet.

"Hey," Rachel says. I look up from where I'm sitting. I'm just finishing my shift at Brooke's family's restaurant.

"Hey," I say, staring warily at her.

"I don't really care, but are you and Colton like a thing?" she asks, biting her lip.

"No." I sigh. "We're not together."

"But you were?" Rachel asks. "Or you cared for him?"

"Yeah," I tell her. Her demeanor seems a little bit softer and less bitchy.

"Look," she says, "I know I've been a bitch, but I just wanted to warn you."

I raise my eyebrows. "About Colton?"

She nods. "Yeah." Rachel sighs, and her eyebrows furrow slightly. "Something changed with him a little while ago. Like he got distant and started acting like an asshole."

I frown. I'm not really sure where she's going with this, but it's still interesting. "So, you broke up with him?"

"No," Rachel tells me. "He wouldn't stop hiding shit from me. And I kept trying to talk to him."

"Okay?" I say. "This isn't really going anywhere."

Rachel sighs. "He fucking left one day, like he was just suddenly gone with a duffel bag's worth of stuff. It fucking hurt. I just wanted to warn you."

I almost smile. "You're a few days too late," I tell her. "He already did that."

"I'm sorry," she says, touching my arm lightly. "Don't spend time on him. Move the fuck on. He's not coming back. That's what I wish someone would have told me."

I don't say anything for a minute. I feel my face reddening as I realize what this means. I feel so fucking naive. Colton did the same thing to Rachel. He could have been playing me all along, and I had no fucking clue.

"Thank you," I tell Rachel as I stand up. I feel anger building up like a slow burn. I grab my stuff quickly and walk outside of the restaurant without saying anything to Brooke. I grab my phone and dial Colton's number aggressively.

"Colton, You fucking asshole," I tell the voicemail. "You stupid prick motherfucker. You left Rachel just like you fucking left me. Did you even care? Or was it all some shit show? Were you just playing me for some reason? God, you're such a coward. And you won't even call me. Fuck you."

I end the voicemail and my hands are shaking slightly. Deep down, I know that Rachel's not lying.

"Hey," Brooke says. I turn around and look at her. "Are you okay? Tasha told me about what happened."

I sigh. "Rachel just told me that Colton did the same exact fucking thing to her," I tell Brooke. "I feel so stupid."

"I'm sorry," Brooke says. "How are things with Bryce?"