Chapter Fourteen

It's odd. The more I think about it, the more I realize how good Colton is for me. I'm happy when I'm around him. And he seems to be happy around me, aside from the one comment he always slips in.

"We'll have two fried chicken and waffles, two large chocolate shakes and two large Cokes to-go please," Colton orders. We're waiting in this busy little diner.

"Is that all?" the woman behind the counter asks. Colton nods and pays. She hands him a buzzer and we sit down on a bench.

"Couldn't we have eaten here?" I ask him.

Colton shrugs. "I guess, but then we couldn't have done the next thing."

"And what would that be?" I ask.

"Do you wanna guess?" Colton asks, grinning. "Because it's a surprise."

"How did I know you were going to say that?" I mutter.

Colton grins. "Because we're like best buddies now."

I roll my eyes. "Will you finally admit that I'm fun?" I ask.

"Almost," he says. I look at my watch.

"Well, we only have a few hours before the party," I remind Colton. He leans back lazily against the wall.

"I know. You keep reminding me," he says.

I smirk. "Maybe I should get that tattooed. You keep reminding me about today."

Colton nods. "And look who's happy." He grins. "I think I make you happy."

"I think you might be good for me," I say. I see Colton's face and add quickly, "As a friend. And only for the next few days."

He sighs. "I guess I'll take it."

I sigh. "What do you want then?"

"I want you to be happy, Andy," he tells me. "And you don't seem happy with Bryce in New York. It seems like it's aging you terribly. And it seems like I make you happy and twenty-two again."

"You might be right about something." I smile. "But I'm not worrying about it. Because you have to live in today, right?"

"Exactly," Colton says.

"Are you going to tell me what you have planned?" I ask.

"Not a chance."

"I didn't think so." I look at Colton. As happy as he seems, he still seems slightly off. "What about you though? Are you happy?" I ask.

"I'm happy right now," Colton says. "And that's what's important."

"But are you happy with your life?" I ask.

"I'm just trying to live it without regrets," he says.

"And do you have any?"

Colton almost smiles. "Just one."

The buzzer starts ringing and Colton gets up to get the food. He carries the bag and I carry the drinks. We walk out to the car. Colton and I put the food in the back row and he starts driving.

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?" I ask.

"Nope."

*************************

I seriously have no idea where we are. Colton made me turn my jacket around and pull the hood over my face. I think we've been driving for twenty minutes.

"Broooo, are we there yet?" I ask. "The food's probably cold."

"We're almost there. And chill out," he says.