Chapter Forty-Two

I have six days to be with Colton. Six days to change his mind. I feel like this exact thing has happened too many times, but he's serious about leaving this time. Something is different.

At least I'll have some sense of peace when he leaves because I'll know that he's leaving this time. And I'll have done everything I possibly could to make him stay. I really don't want to think about never seeing Colton again because it makes my stomach feel sick.

He's been so vague. I did get a few answers, but barely anything. And I probably revealed too much and sounded too desperate. I keep thinking about his letter because he said that he would always be chasing me, but I'm chasing him relentlessly right now.

I sigh and I take a drink of my lemonade. I'm sitting at the table in the kitchen and Colton is out by the pool. It's getting closer to the sunset, and Colton and I have to make dinner because we were slow on the hike.

Alex comes into the kitchen and smiles at me. "How's your vacation been so far?"

"Good," I say. "What about you?"

"It's been very nice," she says. She looks out at the pool. "Is Colton acting okay? I saw you guys talking."

I turn around and look at him. He's laying on the pool chair with his shirt off. "He's been...fine, I guess," I tell Alex.

She sighs. "He's been so damn moody and off lately. I feel like there's something going on, but he won't tell me."

"I'll let you know if I find anything out," I say. Alex nods and starts pouring wine into a glass. "As long as you're here, who has the bedroom? The one you said was mine."

Alex laughs. "Oh, my god. Shit, I'm sorry. The couch in there pulls out to a bed. So, you can both sleep in there, or one of you can sleep on the couch in the living room."

"Oh," I say as I grin. "Thanks."

"Of course."

Alex walks out of the kitchen and I sigh as I look back at Colton. God, he looks so good with his shirt off. Butterflies fill my stomach at the thought of kissing him again and feeling his abs.

I shake my head. I need to focus, but I'm not even sure of what. I stand up and start poking around the kitchen, trying to find something for dinner. It looks like there's sandwiches or stuff for spaghetti. Spaghetti is easy enough.

I walk over to the sliding door and open it. "Colton," I say, but he doesn't look up. "Colton!"

He still doesn't say anything. I sigh as I walk over to where he is. "Colton," I say as I tap his shoulder.

"The fuck?" He jumps and his arm knocks into me. Before I know what's happening, he's somehow grabbing my arm to catch me from falling into the pool. His eyes lock on mine for a second too long until he lets go of my arm. It feels like there are imprints from where his fingers were.

"Shit," I mutter.

"Oh. My bad. You scared me," Colton says as he stands up. "You should try saying my name first."

I frown. "I did. Like three times. It's not my fault you're deaf. You almost knocked me into the pool, you asshole."

"Whatever," Colton says. "Why did you get me?"

"We're supposed to make dinner," I tell Colton.

"Oh. Right." We start walking back into the kitchen. "What did you want to make?" Colton asks.

"There's stuff for spaghetti," I say. Colton makes a face. "What?"

He shrugs. "It doesn't really sound good."