Chapter Twenty-Three

I know what I'm doing is wrong. I know I should respect Colton's privacy. But I can't. I have to know what's going on with him. I tried sleeping and I couldn't.

So it's four AM and I'm in an empty hospital conference room with Malik and Cooper. We're trying to figure out what happened.

"We've got nothing," Cooper says. He runs his hands through his hair and makes it stick up.

Malik sighs and takes a drink of his coffee. "Something doesn't add up, though," he says.

"It's weird, right?" I ask. "I just can't get over it. Like I have this horrible feeling that something is going on."

Malik sits up. He opens his laptop and his fingers start flying across the keyboard. "Maybe we have access to his medical records," he says. "If he's been seen at Redbrook recently."

Cooper frowns. "Isn't this illegal? Like a privacy violation?"

"Maybe," I say. "I don't care. I just have to make sure he's okay."

"This is the guy you were telling us about, right? The ex you saw on the flight?" Malik asks without looking up from his computer.

"Yeah." I grin. "Oh, I found out who my dad's sleeping with. It's Colton's mom."

"Shut the front door," Cooper says.

I shrug. "That's why I've been around Colton so much. Our parents were spending the holiday together."

"I get it," Malik says.

"Did I tell you guys about Bryce?" I ask. They look at each other and frown. "Well, he showed up Christmas Eve night with a ring."

"Ah, hell no," Malik says. "Is your life a soap opera?"

"Shut up, Malik," Cooper says. "What the fuck did you say? Did you say yes?"

"I said I don't know," I tell them. "I said that I needed to remember what it was like to be a couple."

Malik and Cooper exchange knowing glances with each other. "Andy," Cooper says softly.

"What?" I frown.

Malik sighs. "It seems like you have more feelings for Colton than you do for Bryce."

"I don't..." I trail off. "I just...I think I need to be around Bryce."

"But you're obviously—" Cooper cuts himself off. He looks at Malik.

"What?" I ask. "You guys should just say whatever you want to say."

"It's painfully obvious that you care very deeply for Colton," Cooper says. "Like enough to say those three words."

"And you can't say them about Bryce," Malik adds.

I feel my cheeks redden. "This isn't some movie," I say quickly. "This is my life. It's not black and white. You can't fuck around and jump from person to person. You can't fall in love in six days. This is real life and it's a bitch."

"Okay," Malik says. "But why are the three of us here at four AM trying to figure out what happened to Colton?"

"I have to know he's okay." I take a drink of my coffee.

"Okay, so life isn't a perfect movie and shit," Cooper says. "But you still fall in and out of love."

I push my hair out of my face and rub my eyes. "I can't fuck around and make the wrong choice," I say. "This is my life. My future. I can't fuck up."

"I understand playing it safe," Malik says, "but the safe choice isn't always the right choice."

I shake my head. "I don't know why I'm acting like I have a choice. I'm with Bryce. And Colton doesn't want to be around me."