Chapter Twenty-Nine

Bobbe stayed home from school today. He insisted he couldn't go, but he wanted to come with me to work. Tasha made him go back to bed, and she told me that she might drop him off later in the day. But it feels like there's something in the air, so maybe Bobbe was right. Or maybe it's just being in the service business and having everyone treat me like shit.

"Excuse me, I ordered apple juice," this mom with her hair pulled up too tight says.

"I'm so sorry," I tell her. I look down at my notepad. "I thought you said 'Orange juice with light ice. Orange juice, not apple juice.'"

The mom just glares at me. "Just make sure you get our orders right."

I smile at her as I walk back to the kitchen to see if any food is ready. "Move out of the way, bitch," Rachel says as she slams her shoulder into mine.

"Fuck," I mutter quietly through gritted teeth. I'm really not trying to get into a fight. Rachel is the bitch that's making everyone not want to take shifts. She's really nasty to everyone. I'm astounded that she hasn't been fired yet.

I've been doing my best not think about Colton, but I haven't been very successful. I don't know how I'm supposed to just move on and ignore everything that happened, and everything that never happened that I desperately wanted to. I can't pretend like nothing ever happened, or that everything's fine.

This last week was one of the best weeks I've had in forever. And I don't know how or when everything faded to grey and I stopped feeling happy, and the only thing that I can figure out is that it was because of Colton. I know it didn't end well, even though it's like we never even really started.

I just feel so confused and lost. Colton didn't want me, and he said it in ten different ways. He said that he was using me to get even, but I think that was his only lie because he couldn't have made up all of the other shit. And if he did, if Colton was faking everything we did, everything he said, then I guess I didn't really know him.

"So, what do you think of Rachel?" Brooke asks, leaning against the wall next to me, and pulling me out of my thoughts.

I shrug. "I can see why no one wants to work with her," I tell Brooke. "Why hasn't she been fired again?"

"She's so fake towards the owners. They have no idea why everyone complains against her," Brooke says. "I think she went off her shit when her boyfriend broke up with her a few weeks ago."

"Huh," I say. "That makes sense."

Brooke grins. "Honestly, I have no idea why he was with her. He only came by like once, but he was such a snack, girl!"

I laugh. "I missed you, bitch."

Brooke grins and bumps her shoulder into mine. "Right back at you."

I look at my watch. "I have to run some food to a table, but I'll talk to you during my break." Brooke nods.

I walk into the kitchen. "Hey, is the food for table seven ready?"

"Rachel grabbed it," one of the cooks says.

I frown. "What the fuck?" I mutter. "Thanks."

I walk out of the kitchen and I see Rachel talking to my table while handing them their food. I shake my head. That's so fucking bizarre and sneaky. Who the fuck is this girl?

***********************

It's been a few hours of Rachel doing absolutely wild, passive-aggressive things towards me. But it's finally my break and I'm going to deal with something that's been bothering me. I walk over to where Brooke is.