Chapter Forty-One

I can't say anything. It's like I'm frozen and every single word has slipped out of my mind as I'm staring at Colton. He's staring back at me and his forest green eyes are prettier than I remembered.

I'm staring at him, waiting for him to say something. But he doesn't. Colton looks at me and then walks down the hallway without saying a single fucking word. And I'm left in the kitchen with my mouth hanging open.

"Hey," I say finally. He stops walking, but his back is still to me. "I...you...fuck!"

He turns around. "Did you have something to say?"

I stare at him. "Don't you?" I ask. "Like maybe hello?"

"I didn't know you were coming," Colton tells me. "I wouldn't have come if I had known."

It feels like someone slapped me and my face is burning. "You're not fucking serious, are you?" I ask him. His eyes and body language are cold. "You can't mean that."

"Please don't talk to me," he says.

"I...you," I stutter, trying to figure out what to say. I never fucking expected this. "I understand why you wouldn't answer my calls, but I don't understand how the fuck you were able to leave. Or how you're able to act this fucking cold and heartless."

"I don't want this to be more awkward than it has to be," Colton says. "I won't talk to you and you won't talk to me."

"We have a lot to talk about—" I start, but he's already closing the door.

It takes me a few minutes to process what just happened. And I'm stuck standing with mouth open looking like an idiot, which I am for assuming that things would be okay when I saw him

He's distant. Colton is fucking distant and cold and I feel like it's so much worse than what I thought.

Colton doesn't want to be with me.

And it hurts so much but I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. He left, he didn't answer my calls, he changed his number, he did the same thing to Rachel...the list goes on and now this. Colton doesn't want to be around me and it's like everything that happened between us never even happened at all.

I shake my head as I turn around and walk back out to the pool. I pick up my book and try reading again, but I'm too distracted. I keep replaying how cold he was acting. He walked away without saying anything, and when I talked to him he barely said anything. How did Colton go from kissing me to asking me not to talk to him?

If Colton is actually serious about everything he just said, it means that we're fucking over. We're done.

"Fuck!" I mutter.

The door opens and I sit up. Alex smiles at me. "We're going on a hike," she tells me.

"Oh." I bite my lip. "Is Colton going with?"

"He better be," Alex says, crossing her arms over her chest. "He's been such a moody brat lately. Sorry for his attitude."

I smile. "Okay."

Maybe he's just in a bad mood and it's not me. Colton can get super moody. I feel butterflies in my stomach as I go back into my room to change. Colton and I might still have a chance. Maybe it's not over completely.

I open the door to my room and Colton spins around without a shirt on. "What the fuck are you doing in here?" he says.

I blink and take a second too long staring at his chest. My eyes flick back up to his. "What the fuck are you doing in my room?" I ask.

He frowns. "This is my room."

"No, it's not," I tell Colton. I point to my suitcase. "Is the bright pink suitcase yours?"