Chapter Fifty-One

I sit down next to Colton. "I got you coconut water," I tell him. He frowns but seems amused.

"Thanks but why?"

I shrug. "They're healthy or whatever and they have electrolytes," I tell him. He grins, shaking his head as he takes a drink.

"God, that's not very good," he mutters.

"You're gonna learn to love it," I say. I take a drink of the one I got for myself. It's not that bad.

"You think the parents are going to come back soon?" Colton asks. He bumps his shoulder into mine and I smile.

"Maybe." They went to a bar close to our gate. Our flight is boarding soon and we're sitting at our gate waiting. I look at Colton. "What are we supposed to tell them?"

Colton takes a drink of his water. "About what?"

"Me," I say as I sigh. "I'm going back to Washington even though I wasn't supposed to go. You don't think it looks strange?"

"Maybe they don't care," Colton offers. "They didn't say anything earlier."

"Maybe," I mutter as I sigh and bite my lip. I feel like I need to figure out something to say without revealing that Colton and I are together, or that he's dying.

I feel Colton's hand on my wrist. He rubs his thumb against my skin and my eyes flick to his. "You look cute when you're stressed," he tells me.

"Shut up," I mutter, but I can't keep the light smile off my face.

Colton grins. "I would kiss you, but the parents are walking towards us."

I feel my cheeks redden even though I have nothing to be embarrassed of. Colton pulls his hand off my wrist.

Before the parents can sit down, they announce that we're boarding. I sling my backpack over my shoulder and once we get to the line, Colton stands too close behind me. I swear the parents are going to notice that something is up.

"So, where are you guys staying when we get back home?" Alex asks. Colton and I look at each other.

"Uh..." I trail off. I have absolutely no idea. I know I want to stay with Colton, but it would be weird if we stayed together at one of our parents' houses. "I might crash with Auntie or with one or my buddies at the hospital."

Colton looks at me. "I'm not sure yet."

"Okay," Dad says. He looks like he wants to say something but he doesn't. And I'm guessing it's about me.

I shift my backpack. "I still have a few days left of my vacation. And going back to Washington sounds nice," I explain.

Dad nods. "Yeah. Your aunt misses you."

I nod too and release a breath I didn't know I was holding. It's so odd to almost be sneaking around with Colton and keeping our relationship a secret. It's like we're teenagers even though we're not. And we're not in high school and it's not a perfect bubble. It's not carefree. It's not a fairy tale, it's real life and there's not a happy ending.

Fuck.

But it doesn't have to be a happy ending.  I don't care. I just want to be with Colton.

**********************

We have thirty minutes left of our flight and Colton's been sleeping for most of it. His head is against my shoulder and he's holding onto my arm. I think he's been sleeping hard. Our parents are in first class, so they won't see us.

I sigh as I rub my thumb against his arm. It feels so good to be together. And he still gives me butterflies in my stomach. I keep shaking my head and wondering how any of this is real.