PART 24

✝†✝

Third POV

Catherine pondered deeply while seated in the living room, sensing that something was amiss. An air of uncertainty hung in the atmosphere, and she couldn't quite put her finger on what was transpiring.

Her body remained tense and vigilant, eyebrows furrowed in bewilderment. Fidgeting with her fingers on her lap, she attempted to alleviate her growing nervousness.

Careful not to betray her concerns in front of her mate, she adeptly concealed her unease. It wasn't too challenging to do so. Intuitively, she recognized that her mate's thoughts were elsewhere, evident in the melancholic gaze of his striking red eyes, revealing more than words ever could.

His thoughts were occupied with Muzaka, and likely that child.

Catherine sighed, abandoning her attempts to unravel the mystery, and quietly rose from her seat. She made her way outside, heading towards the balcony of Frankenstein's house.

The chilly night breeze embraced her pale skin and tousled her brown hair. Closing her eyes, she sought solace and tried to regain composure. A sense of familiarity swept over her when she felt a presence too well-known behind her.

"What's going through your mind?" Raizel gently asked his companion.

After a prolonged silence, Catherine mustered the courage to broach the subject that had been weighing on her companion's mind. She delicately opened the conversation, saying, "The little girl. She has altered Muzaka."

The Noblesse moved forward, encircling Catherine with his arms. She leaned back against his chest, attentively awaiting his response. "I would do the same if you were in her shoes," he replied.

Catherine let out a gentle laugh, "I beg to differ." She pivoted within his embrace to meet his gaze, her hands resting on his chest. However, she hesitated to lock eyes with him as she continued, "You wouldn't harm any of those humans, even if they did something to me."

She ran her fingers over the fabric of his suit, stating, "You're nothing like Muzaka. Never draw a comparison between yourself and him because your compassion surpasses his by far. It's something I've always admired about you. Promise me you won't alter anything about yourself if something were to happen to me."

Raizel gazed down at her with affection. Once more, he pondered how he merited such a delightful companion. Softly, he called her name, causing her crimson eyes to meet his. "If something were to happen to you, how can I make such a promise when a part of me would be lost?"

"Then give it a try," she responded. "Promise me you'll try, Raizel."

"I will," he assured her promptly, his voice resolute and unwavering. Pulling her closer, he embraced her. Though his expression remained neutral, his heart clenched with concern for his mate.

Catherine rested her head on his broad shoulder, exhaling slowly. Raizel sensed the tension still lingering in her body—taut and rigid. He gently rubbed her back in an attempt to ease the tension.

Speaking softly to her, he asked, "What's bothering you?"

"Something is approaching. Something ominous is on the horizon; I can sense it," Catherine barely whispered, but her mate heard her clearly. "Perhaps it's because the next time we encounter Muzaka, there will be a confrontation."