Ch9

"Mother, stop whining. I talk to you all the time." I grumbled into the phone, as I laid down on my bed and crossed my leg over the other.

"Baby, it's been a whole week!" she continued whining into my ear making me roll my eyes at her.

"Don't call me that." I said monotonously.

"What?" she inquired, with a new found playful tone in her voice, "You don't like me calling you 'baby'?

"No, mum, I don't. Can we get back on topic here?" I asked growing frustrated with her, I didn't understand why she had to be so...parental. "Can you send it or not?"

She let out a sigh, "Yes, Adelaide, I'm sending it to your email as we speak. Why do you need a scan of your acceptance letter anyway?" I could hear her typing away on her computer through the phone, and I smiled. This would be so easy.

"Oh, I – uh – I just need it. Maybe I should frame it and put it on the wall, you know?" I stuttered, trying to come up with the best lie I could. My mum didn't need to know anything about what happened between Louis and I...and Perrie...and all of the people who now suspect that I'm a slag. Ugh.

"Adelaide..." she warned me, catching onto my stutter, which I knew she would. She was my mother for crying out loud.

"No, mum, really. Don't worry. It's nothing that's too horrible I promise. It'll be easy to fix." I reassured, knowing she already knew everything about the pranks that Louis and I had been playing on each other since September. I wasn't actually the one who had told her about it in the beginning. Coming from a small town, it's pretty easy to run into people on a daily basis, and my mum loves to talk, so when she spotted Mrs. Tomlinson in the supermarket, she struck up a conversation about Louis and I at uni, naturally.

"You're lucky that I already hit the 'send' button, because now I'm starting to regret it." She said with a sigh, "That poor boy."

I laughed at her comment even though she was being completely serious. "He's not going to know what hit him, mum. It's going to be hilarious."

And revengeful. I added in my head with a smirk.

"I fear that," she said, "but I'm afraid there's nothing I can really do now."

I kept the smirk on my face, trying my best not to think of the occurrences of the night prior. I'd fallen asleep with tears in my eyes like some three year old child, and I wasn't too keen on the idea of letting anyone – even my mother – know about that. I wasn't supposed to be this girl who cried herself to sleep pitifully, granted I wasn't supposed to be seen as a slut either, but there wasn't anything I could do about hiding that now. All because of the douchebag, who I hoped to cause some grief by the end of the day.

"Don't worry about it, mum," I reassured, "everything is going to be fine. I promise."

I heard her snort a laugh into the phone, and I frowned. "Yeah, Adelaide Just like you promised me you would call me."

I groaned, my frustration with her growing. As if Louis hadn't put a huge burden on my shoulders, and school, in general, stressing me out to no end, my mum just had to play the card where she makes me feel like shit for not calling her. It was like she was looking to pick a fight with me, knowing that I'd blow up in any second. That's just it, though, she didn't know how frustrated I was to begin with, so I sucked in a deep breath and bit my lip to keep myself from letting out any harsh words.

"Adelaide, I'm sorry. I don't mean to cause you more stress, honey, I just miss you so much. This house is so lonely." She whined, like the five year old she often was.