Part 18

Surprise

-

"You shouldn't ignore your highness." A fairy twinkled beside her, the incessant flapping of the wings grating against Erinas nerves.

She glanced up at the Prince sat close, silently sharpening his sword, face set in deep thinking. Asshole.

"Leave me alone." The fairy beside her flew around to face her.

"My name is Lila, and my duty is to ensure the royal family is well served to." Lila explained, as if expecting Erina to understand why she kept badgering her

Erina cocked an eyebrow, "Well, apparently now that i'm an elf and Mr. racist Elf Prince there considers me his equal, wouldn't I also be royal?"

Erina ignored how Nuada tensed up at his nickname, feeling elated for a split second as he watched his eye twitch in irritation.

Lila tilted her head. "No."

Erina stared blankly, waiting for an explanation.

Lila sighed, "Lady Erina would have to formally marry into the family to be considered Royal."

Nuada looked up at that, making eye contact with Erina.

"No." Erina said before the stupid prince or little fairy suggested that something like a marriage could happen.

Nuada tutted, flipping the lance before gracefully sliding it back in its hold.

"You don't get to decide." 

Erina blinked, standing up to face the entitled Elven prince before snapping, "You mean, the person who's going to get married can't choose whether they want to or not? You know what that is called? Forced marriage." 

The prince didn't look amused or offended. "Well, it may be in your interests to choose the option where you do want to get married then."

Erina gritted her teeth, forcing herself to keep her footing as the prince invaded her personal space.

She felt absolutely annoyed that her heart jumped in its spot as topaz eyes melted into hers. She hated and loved the affection that lay in them. It was for her, but also not really.

"You don't affect me." She spat.

Nuada smirked wickedly. They both knew that was a poor attempt of preserving her dignity. 

"Your heart beating fast enough to almost escape your chest says the opposite, my love." 

Erina flushed. "Shut up, that...that's the stupid bond."

Nuada cocked a slender eyebrow at the statement.

"Did you forget you released me of that bond?" 

Erina blinked, her brain frazzled for a moment until she realised, yes, in a very dramatic moment, she had done that.

"I-I...." Fuck. She was so stupid. How was she going to defend herself now. 

The elven prince took her moment of feeling blind sided to lean in with one hand against the tree, half barricading Erina who had frozen completely.

"It's done. There is no way out. Nothing will go back to the way it is." Nuada used his free hand to grab the she-elf's dainty chin, forcing green emeralds to meet with golden ones. "You need to accept this." Nuada took a deep breath in and gritted out the words he knew would upset the girl "Humans will all die. Like I promised, I will keep the children who don't know themselves let alone their species horrid practices alive and well. The rest will die. Whether you want it or not." 

Green eyes twinkled with tears.

"I won't stand by it." Her voice softly cracked.

Nuada clenched his jaw, feeling more evil by the second. "I'm afraid, even that, you don't have a choice in. You are mine, and if I have to, I will chain you to me and drag you with me across this earth, whether you scream or cry. I will endure all your sharp words and hate filled actions. I will endure you looking at me like this right now." Erinas hateful glare intensified.

"Yes, that one." Nuada smirked sadly. "Even that hate there is mine. You belong to me so you'll be where you belong."

Nuada stepped away, but not breaking eye contact. 

"-and that is right beside me, whether willingly or in chains." 

Erina fell in despair as Nuada turned away, ordering the fairies to send notices to the nearest army brigade.

The final war had started, and Erina couldn't do anything