Chapter 2

Gerard walked down the street, deciding to explore his new city. So far, he wasn't the most impressed. It was just like half of New Jersey, dirty and run down. But there were some parts that seemed intriguing, like the bookstore that had the cat in the window. He definitely had to show that place to Mikey.

He saw a tall metal fence and walked closer to find them enclosing a skate park. Nobody was in there as he stepped through the gate. There was graffiti on all of the ramps, dug into the ground like an poorly designed swimming pool. Some ramps were above ground and Gerard found a boy sitting on top of a half pipe.

He stood back for a moment and watched. Gerard couldn't see the face but could see the boy. The boy hung his feet over the edge, coffee beside him while he wrote in a small notebook. There was something about the way the sun was sitting on him, it was soft and peaceful and beautiful.

Gerard stepped over into the dip of the ramp. The boy looked up and Gerard found himself looking at Frank. He smiled, a cigarette between his lips as he took his headphones out.

"Hey, What are you doing out here?" Frank asked.

"Just exploring," Gerard said. "Can I join you?"

Frank nodded and Gerard climbed up to sit beside him. He put his notebook away, tucking it into his back pocket.

"What's that?" Gerard asked curiously.

"Oh, nothing," Frank dismissed, holding out his cigarette. "Want a drag?"

Gerard stared at it for a moment before taking the cigarette. He coughed when he took a drag, his eyes watering.

"First time?" Frank asked with a chuckle.

"No, it's just, uh, it's been a while," he admitted. "Parents caught me smoking and it was hell so I stopped for a while."

"Oh, well, I don't want to get you hooked on this shit again," Frank said, taking it back.

Gerard didn't say anything as he looked around.

"How come you're the only one here?" I asked.

"It's Sunday morning, nobody's here on Sunday morning," Frank stated.

"That your board?" He asked, eyeing the skateboard with a design of a skull that was all scratched up from tricks.

"Yeah, you ride?" Frank asked.

"God no, I've got two left feet," he said with a chuckle. "Trust me, I would just end up with a broken arm or something."

Frank shrugged, looking over at the trees outside the park.

"What do you think of this place?" Frank asked.

"It's alright, maybe I'm a little bit biased," Gerard admitted. "I do miss North Brunswick, that's where all my friends are and stuff."

"At least it's not too far," Frank said.

Gerard nodded, watching the way Frank played with the sleeves of his black hoodie. Frank looked up at Gerard, their faces only a few inches apart. Gerard waited for a moment to see what he would do but Frank just grabbed his board and hopped down.

"Let me show you some moves," frank offered.

"No, I'm good," Gerard denied. "Really."

Frank shrugged and dropped his board down. He skated around the park while Gerard watched.

"Hey, Frank!" Someone called. "I thought I would find you here!"

Gerard saw Jamia coming in, waving happily to Frank. He skated over and gave her a hug before pointing over to Gerard. Jamia sat next to Gerard, a cheery smile on her face as she took a sip of Frank's coffee.