Chapter 30

Gerard was just coming back after being at Josh's. Debby was tired and needed sleep but Josh was at work so Gerard volunteered to go watch the baby while Debby slept for a few hours.

"Oh, come on," he muttered.

He found the word 'leave' spray painted in red across his lawn. An envelope was tucked under a rock near the steps. He went to open the envelope but jumped back in pain. Blood began dropping down his hand and he got into the car, driving straight to the police station.

"I need to see Detective Orzechowski," he stated.

"She is out at the moment but she should be back any minute," the lady behind the desk said.

"Can I at least get a band aid?" He asked.

"I'll find you one," she said.

Gerard sat down, waiting for a few minutes before he saw the detective walk through the door.

"Oh, hello, Gerard," she said. "Can I help you?"

"Yes, I need to talk urgently," he said.

She led him back to his desk and he sat down, handing her the letter.

"Be careful, it cut me," Gerard said.

The lady from behind the desk came over and gave Gerard a band-aid. Detective Orzechowski used a letter opener to slit the envelope open.

"Someone stuck razors underneath the flap," she said, pulling out the letter.

"What's it say?" He asked.

She read it before sighing, handing it to him.

This is your last warning, go back to Brunswick or else you will be hurt.

"They also spray painted my yard," Gerard said. "And I know who's doing it."

"You did? And you didn't say anything?" She asked.

"She's a friend and she was off her meds and she promised she would stop," he said. "But this is the last straw, I'm going to prom in a few days, I don't want her near there. I don't want her to ruin my night."

"Who is this?" She asked.

"Lindsey Ballato," He said, giving her the address of her house and other information.

"And how do you know it's her?" She asked.

"Because I confronted her and she just sort of confessed," he said. "But I didn't want her to get into trouble."

Detective Orzechowski sighed. "Alright, well, I'm going to bring her in."

Gerard nodded, going back to the lobby to call Frank.

"Hey, I got another letter," he said. "And I turned it into Orzechowski."

"I thought she was done with all of that bullshit," Frank said.

"Yeah,  me too," he said. "And there were razors in the envelope, cut my finger."

"That's not right," he said. "God, What a fucking bitch."

"I know, but she's getting arrested now so she's hopefully not gonna bother us," he said. "We can have a perfect time together at the prom."

"Good, and I hope that she goes to prison for harassing you," Frank said.

Gerard bit his lip. "I don't know if I want her to go to prison—"

"You can't keep defending her, what she did was shit," he said. "It doesn't matter if she's your friend, what she did wasn't right."