Chapter 13

Frank was so nervous as he waited on the couch, running over to buzz Gerard in when he got here. Gerard handed him a bouquet of lilies.

"Oh, you two look so handsome," Linda said, "let me take some pictures."

The two smiled for the photos and she sighed, pulling her hair up. She was already dressed in her uniform for work.

"You two have fun now, I have to go," she said. "I'll be working the nightshift and closing up so I won't be back until after midnight. Don't stay out too late and give me a text when you get back so I know you got here safe."

"Okay, mom, I love you," Frank said, kissing Linda's cheek.

She left and he stood there a bit awkwardly in front of Gerard.

"So, what time was Pete gonna come by and pick us up?" Gerard asked.

"Oh, he told me he wanted some alone time with Jamia and they were gonna eat alone so I guess it's just the two of us," Frank said. "If that's okay with you. If you still wanna double date with someone I'm sure that I can call Brendon or Josh."

"No, no, it's okay," Gerard denied. "I would love to just spend time with you. Where are you wanting to eat?"

"It doesn't matter," Frank said. "Just...please not somewhere that's, like, too expensive."

"Just outside of town there is this pasta place, you wanna try that place out?" Gerard asked.

"Yeah, yeah, pasta is good," Frank said. "Who doesn't like pasta? Pasta is the people of my culture. N-not the people, oh my god. It's the culture of my people. Th-that doesn't really make sense either, I'm sorry."

"So, you ready to head out then?" Gerard asked.

Frank nodded, grabbing his wallet. The two walked down to his car and he drove them to the small restaurant. They were lead to a small table in the back room where the lights were dim and there were candles on every table.

"This place looks kind of expensive," Frank whispered nervously.

"We ate here when we first moved here," Gerard said. "It really isn't very expensive but they just have a really romantic atmosphere here in the back room when people come in on dates."

They ordered some food and Frank folded his napkin nervously.

"Are you okay?" Gerard asked.

"Yeah, yeah, just nervous," he said. "Last time I had a date to a dance it didn't end too well. And this is my first time going with another guy and I'm just really nervous."

"Hey, it's gonna be okay, it's not like anyone has given us a hard time for being together, why would they start on the night of the dance?" Gerard asked.

"Yeah, yeah, you're right," he mumbled. "I'm just nervous. It's okay, I'm okay."

Gerard smiled and reached across the table to hold Frank's hand. The motion calmed Frank and he took a deep breath. He knew he was getting better about being nervous around Gerard, far better. But yet sometimes he did still get a bit anxious.

"Here you two are, enjoy your meal," the waitress said, setting down two plates.

They were mostly quiet as they ate but neither of them minded the peaceful silence. They paid and headed off back to the school for the dance where it was all decorated.

"Hey, look great, Jamia," Gerard said.

She smiled, giving him a hug.

"Come on, we reserved a table over here," she said.