Chapter 14

It was cold and snowing outside, winter break just starting up and everyone was excited. Gerard was curled up on the couch in his basement, watching movies under a big heated blanket. Frank was coming by after his shift at work and Gerard was just counting down the minutes. He already had snacks lined up and ready.

Frank let himself in and came down to the basement, holding two blizzards with something tucked under his arm. Gerard smiled, giving him a kiss. He smiled, taking the cups and setting them down on the coffee table.

"Also your mail was on the front porch underneath a rock," he said.

"Oh, yeah, they do that sometimes because in the winter the mailbox will sometimes freeze shut," Gerard said.

Frank set the mail down, curling up under the blanket with him.

"Oh my god, is this a heated blanket?" Frank asked and Gerard nodded. "Oh my god, this is really amazing. I want one of these. It's like I'm in a little burrito and I'm being baked in an oven."

Gerard chuckled, kissing his cheek.

"You are so cute," he said. "When are you going to your dad's?"

"Um, like a few days after Christmas," Frank said. "I'll be staying the night and it will no doubt suck."

"I'm sorry," Gerard said.

"Also, Gerard, can we not do presents for each other?" Frank asked. "It's just that I don't have enough money to buy a present and I don't want you to buy me a gift if I can't get you one back."

"Alright then, no gifts," Gerard agreed. "That just means I'll have to shower you in kisses instead."

Frank smiled, resting his head on Gerard's shoulder. They watched tv for a little bit before Mikey came downstairs.

"Hey, did my magazine come in the mail?" He asked.

Gerard gestured to the pile of mail so he could search through it. Mikey sighed, sorting through the papers.

"Oh, this one is for you," Mikey said, handing Gerard an envelope.

He grabbed his magazine before heading back upstairs. Gerard opened the letter, rolling his eyes. This time it was written in red paint.

This isn't a joke. Leave this city. Go live with your grandparents. Nobody wants you here. Nobody likes you. I will hurt you.

"Is that fake blood?" Frank asked.

Gerard pulled out polaroids, pictures of the couple together at the winter dance.

"Weird, again," Gerard said. "Just weird."

There was something else in there, though. Gerard pulled it out and gasped, dropping it down onto the blanket. There was a bloody razor.

"Oh my god, is that written in real blood?" Frank asked.

"The blood on this is still wet," he said. "Oh my god, I think I'm gonna be sick."

"We need to tell someone," Frank said. "This is a real threat, Gerard. This is serious. We can't just ignore this."

Gerard nodded, putting everything back into the envelope. He grabbed the old envelope, biting his lip.

"Is your mom home?" He asked.

"Um, yeah, she should be," Frank said. "Do you wanna tell her?"

Gerard nodded and they drove over to Frank's apartment. Linda was in the middle of sweeping and she smiled when she saw Frank and Gerard.