Chapter 16.

When Zayn woke up the next day, the sun was streaming through the curtains. He closes his eyes as he has a killer hangover. He looks down and realizes that his clothes had been stripped and he now only lay in a pair of boxers. A glass of water sat on the bedside table, along with two tablets which he gladly took. He'd thank Liam for that.

He then took a shower in Liam's en suite bathroom and headed downstairs in a fresh pair of clothes- also Liam's. They were slightly big on him, but he didn't really mind.

When he entered the kitchen, Liam was standing with his back to him, bent over the cooker. The eggs smelt lovely. He was humming quietly to himself and when Zayn cleared his throat, announcing his presence, Liam looked up. He was dressed in a pair of black briefs, just like Zayn was when he woke up. “Hey.” Liam breathes, walking over to Zayn. He bends down to kiss his neck, wrapping his arms around Zayn but Zayn only pushes him away and Liam looks at him with a confused look on his face. “Just because Sophia split up with you last night doesn’t mean we’re together.” Zayn said.

Liam took a few steps back. “You heard that, huh?” Liam breathes. Zayn nodded slowly. “I still don’t think it’s okay for us to be together, Liam. I think we should just be friends…for Niall’s sake.” Zayn suggests. “Niall doesn’t mind about us, I’ve spoken to him about it.” Liam tries desperately. Zayn bit his lip. “Still, even if we do get together and things fall apart again – it’s not fair on him, Li. He needs us, as friends. We need to be there for him.” Zayn mumbles.

Liam sighs, running a hand through his hair. He was currently holding a fork in his hand and with his hands bawled into fists, he tosses the fork aside so that it lands with a clatter across the floor, making Zayn jump a little. “I made you breakfast, you can leave when you want.” Liam murmurs and brushes past Zayn without another word.

---

The following week was the week of the summer dance and the boys found themselves sitting in the cafeteria at lunch, discussing who they’d take as dates. “I make take Perrie.” Zayn announces suddenly and Liam’s head snapped up. “Perrie?” Niall repeated, eyebrows raised. “Yeah, she’s in our music class, Niall.” Zayn reminded him and Niall nods, taking a bite of his lunch.

“Who are you taking, Liam?” Niall asks curiously and Zayn glances side-ways at his ex. “Danielle, maybe.” Liam says thoughtfully. Zayn glances behind him, noticing that Danielle herself was only a few tables away. Zayn found himself snorting. “You’ve got no chance, mate.” He scoffs and Liam smirks. “Watch me.” He sighs and stands up, walking over to Danielle’s table.

“How long is this game going last?” Niall asks exasperatingly, running a hand through his hair. Zayn shrugs. “Just giving him a taste of his own medicine.” He assures him. Niall and Zayn both watch as Liam makes stands next to Danielle at her table, gently caressing her back. He whispers something into her ear and Danielle blushes, nodding shyly and Liam grins, kissing her on the cheek before retreating back to his friends. “Piece of cakes.” He mutters and Zayn rolls his eyes, picking his food with his fork.

Zayn was desperate to change the subject. “Who are you taking, Niall?” he asks. Niall blanches because he wasn’t really sure himself. “You’re not thinking about taking Styles, are you?” Liam raises his eyebrows and Niall’s eyes widen. “Pipe it down.” Niall warned, glancing at his classmates nearby who seem too occupied in their own conversations to notice.

“He’ll be going anyway.” Niall adds for good measure, but it still doesn’t give his friends the answer they wanted. “You don’t know, do you?” Zayn guessed and Niall sighed. “It’s complicated. I don’t want him to flip if I take a random girl but at the same time I don’t wanna go myself because I’ll look like loner.” Niall explains and they both nod in agreement. “Well, it’s not as if you’re actually a couple, right? I’d say you’re free to go with whoever you please.” Liam shrugs and Zayn scoffed. “Of course you would say that.” He mumbles but Liam had heard and cast him a glare.