Chapter 53.

Harry stares blankly into space. He's been like that for a while actually. He can't really quite comprehend what he's just been told. That the love of his life could possibly die. Dr. Miller was right, though. What Niall was going through right this second wasn't natural. It wasn't something you see every day and it certainly wasn't something that'd have a positive outcome. Harry had been sitting out here for quite some time now. You see, he was too afraid to go and see Niall even though Dr. Miller had told him he was fully awake.

But this was different. Niall was different. For one, he was under a lot of medication, like before. Niall was slowly fading away, slowly slipping through Harry's fingers and Harry didn't know how to stop it, he didn't know what he could do without the love of his life.

---

Niall was resting on the bed when Harry finally decided to come in. He was lying on his side, his stomach bloated underneath the thin blanket. He was reading the newspaper with his earphones in. Ed Sheeran singing quietly and Niall is humming along. Anything to do to pass the time in this godforsaken place he called the hospital. A tray of food sat above him; filled with mashed potatoes, mushy peas and mince. Harry must admit, it didn't look very appealing and he wasn't surprised that Niall hadn't touched it.

Niall still hadn't heard Harry enter so Harry surprised him by sweeping down and kissing him, feverishly and desperately. Of course, it takes Niall aback, which was Harry's intention of the kiss and he was quite satisfied by it. When Harry pulls away, Niall pulls out his earphones and stares at Harry as he sits down.

"Hey." Harry smiles and Niall smiles back.

"Hey."

"What have the nurses told you?" Niall asks curiously and Harry frowns a little bit.

"Have they not told you anything yet?"

"They've only told me that my hearts weak but they're doing everything they can to stop it." Niall shrugs and Harry sighs. Harry was a bit annoyed. Niall was carrying his child, he had the right to know what was wrong with him as much as he did. Perhaps they thought they were protecting him and quite frankly, Harry would do the same.

"They told me that as well." Harry lies and Niall nods. Suddenly, Harry feels guilty. He hates lying to Niall but Niall didn't need the stress, he didn't deserve it. He didn't want Niall going through any more pain than he already was. He's had enough of it and now he wants to put his foot down. Maybe, just maybe, if Niall stopped taking the medication then Niall would survive. It was really the fact that Harry had to chose between Niall and their son and it was cruel to say so but it had always been Niall. Always.

"Niall, you've gotta stop this." Harry begins and Niall looks up. Harry is giving Niall a look of desperation. "Please, stop it. I've had enough of this. I don't want to lose you, okay? It was always going to be you. Always." Harry tries and Niall stares impassively at him before answering.

"But I've made it this far, Haz. Only a few more months and I can -"

"You haven't got a few more months, Niall! When are you gonna get that in your head?! You're going to die and maybe the baby will die with you! What does that leave me with?! Nothing!"

"Oh, stop being so dramatic. You have no faith in me at all, do you? You don't seem to realize what I have sacrificed these past few months to have this kid - and I'm not about to let that go to waste! I'm not about to abort my own kid just because you want me too! This is my body! My decision!" Niall is shouting now, his voice rising with ever sentence he speaks.

"Yes, but I'm the father! It's my decision too, I'm part of it! I jut don't want to lose you and you're to delusional to see past that. Sure, it was all fun and games to start off with but I never wanted this to start of with in the first place, Niall. This was never my choice, it was yours and you'll die trying. Literally. Dr. Miller says that there's a 75% chance of you not making it and y'know what? She's right. You're not gonna make it." Harry spits. The tension is cut high with a knife. Niall is left stunned, speechless. It wasn't like Harry to go off on a rant like that, unless he was really desperate about something.