Chapter 24.

Maura leaves Niall again a few days later, leaving Niall feeling lonely, depressed and miserable. It didn’t help that Harry lived just across the hall either and that they saw each other every single day, going and coming back from school. It was tiring and it left an aching pain in Niall’s chest that hurt like hell. Zayn and Liam came to “check” on him every now and then but they didn’t stay for long, knowing that Niall wouldn’t be up to anything fun.

Niall kept his head down over the past few weeks. He studied hard, passed pre-tests and prelims like he does every other year and he trains for the upcoming charity events that’s happening next year. Since he’s been made captain, he trains extra harder and longer than necessary and is always tired by the end of the day. But it’s a good distraction. It takes his mind off things. Niall also works and Harry also goes to Uni, so they barely get to see each other when that happens. They’ve moved on though. They’ve moved on like nothing has happened between them; slowly but surely.

One night after Zayn leaves him, Niall is wrapped up in a blanket, the TV on in the dimly lit living room, except he wasn’t really watching it. Instead, he’s wondering what his curly-haired neighbor is doing across the hall, right this very second. There wasn’t any harm in paying him a visit, was there? Neighbor to neighbor. So Niall shuffles across the corridor, the blanket still draped around his shoulders and he drops the remote on the arm chair.

He opens his door and makes his way to Harry’s flat, chapping lightly. It’s a few seconds before Harry answers and Harry is surprised to see him. His hair is tied in some sort of bun at the top of his hair, a few loose strands of curls falling at the side of his face. His eyes look tired and he’s wearing a plain white t-shirt and sweats – something Niall rarely sees him in – and he’s barefoot. He’s absolutely gorgeous. “Hi.”

“I think we need to talk.” Niall states and Harry sighs. “Ok.” He steps aside, letting Niall through the threshold. “Would you like me to get pizza? I haven’t made any dinner yet and quite frankly I can’t be bothered.” Harry says, waving his arm aimlessly, speaking in a low, husky voice that makes Niall’s body light up a little. “Yeah, I – I haven’t ate anything either.” Niall admits and Harry heads for the phone, taking it off its stand. “What kind do you like?”

“Pepperoni.” Niall says quickly and Harry grins. “Yes.” He emphasizes and dials the number, giving their order shortly afterwards. After he’s ordered their takeaway, Niall slumps himself down on Harry’s homely sofa, cocooning himself in the blanket and he looks up at Harry with icy blue eyes as Harry sits down next to him. Harry then switches on the TV and watches it for a while – which Niall is annoyed by because he simply said he wanted to talk, not to spend his free time with him. “This isn’t a date y’know.” Niall points out. Harry turns the volume down a little bit. “Then what is it?” He frowns. Niall purses his lip. He’s being difficult.

Niall is about to open his mouth to speak but he’s stopped when the doorbell rings. Harry heaves a deep sigh and stands up. That’ll be the pizza. He’s surprised to see Liam when he opens the door; dressed in a pizza delivery boy’s outfit, a navy blue cap on his head, advertising their logo and title. He looked shy. Embarrassed, almost. Liam clears his throat. “Two peperoni pizza’s?” he asks and Harry fetches for his wallet in his sweats pocket but Liam stops him, waving his hand dismissively. “It’s on the house. I know Niall’s in there, this is favorite pizza. Friends and family discount and all.” Liam laughs nervously and Harry smirks. “Thanks, man. Hey – here.” Harry shoves a couple of pounds in Liam’s hands, for a tip and Liam thanks him. “I didn’t pin you as a pizza delivery person.” Harry admits and Liam laughs again. “Me neither, but Zayn and Niall have a job – I felt left out. It’s better than nothing.” He shrugs carelessly. “Well, if you’re struggling for money…” Harry trails off, heading for his wallet again but this time, Liam places a hand on his. “It’s okay, really. Besides, I find it weird that I’m delivering pizza to my best friends’ boyfriend, who happens to be my teacher. I don’t want to be in detention tomorrow just because I made my teacher pay for a pizza.” Liam jokes and Harry chuckles. “You haven’t spat on either of these, have you?” Harry teases back and this time, Liam laughs, shaking his head in disbelief – waving goodbye to Harry.