Chapter 21.

Things were quiet over the next few days. After the locker incident, it was a wake-up call for them both that they had to keep things low-profile. Because who else could've opened that door?

The only down-fall from the locker incident was that Niall's maths teacher was slightly disappointed that he had skived a maths class. Oh, well. He'd attended every single maths class he had since he arrived at this high school, one lesson short wouldn't hurt.

It wasn't until that following Monday that things started to get heated up again. After English, Niall stayed behind with Harry, waiting for him to finish up. "You can go." Harry says quietly, as he slipped a few stray sheets of paper in a tray. "Nah, wanna be with you." Niall shrugs and Harry chuckles, moving forward to kiss Niall. The door suddenly clicked open and Niall was thrown aside, lying with his back thumped against the wall.

Tom, the principle stood in the doorway and Harry flashes a false smile at him. He'd hurt Niall. He's definitely hurt Niall. Damn it, damn it, damn it. "Hi." Harry forces and Tom grins. "Are you just about finished? I'd like to have a catch up with you, not spoken to you in a while." Tom says and Harry forces a nod. "Sure." He grabs his jacket and bag and heads out with Tom, leaving the door open.

Niall grunts once he was out of earshot and dusts himself down. He whimpers a little as he trudges outside, making sure that he's well behind Harry and the principle. "Niall!" He spins round to find Zayn standing at the stairwell, a grin on his face.

"What are you doing?" Zayn asks curiously, walking down the steps so that he was level with Niall. "We nearly got caught." Niall admits with a sigh and Zayn cocks an eyebrow. "What did I tell you?" He exclaims and Niall shushes him, placing a hand over his mouth. Niall grabs Zayn's wrists and guides him down the stairs where they hear Harry and Tom's voices. They try to sneak past them, but they're caught by Tom.

"Boys? What do you think you're doing?" Tom frowns, turning round to face them. Harry gazes curiously at the pair but when he meets eyes with Niall, his eyes fall to the floor. Zayn clears his throat. “He was helping me clean up, sir. With the – with the community service.” Zayn explains weakly, pretending to look shameful. Tom heaves a deep sigh. “What did I tell you about this, Zayn? It’s your mess, you clean it up! Tom shouts, his hand on Zayn’s shoulder as he guides him downstairs, waving a hand dismissively at Harry. The two boys are left alone. They both walk out to the car park, but in silence. Tom and Zayn have both already left by now. “You want a lift home?”           Harry offers quietly, opening his door. Niall hesitates before answering a small, “okay.”

The music on in the car is the only thing keeping them both from talking and they both walk side by side up to the flat. Niall waves Harry good-bye and he’s about to unlock the door when Harry spins him round, crashing his lips to Niall’s Niall moans, his protests muffled against Harry’s mouth. He tugs at his hair at the back and pulls away from Harry, breathless and panting. Niall’s lips are swollen and gazing up at Harry, completely flustered.

“I’m sorry, for back there.” Harry whispers, looking wistfully at Niall in the eyes. The gaze was so intense, it made Niall’s heart melt. Niall didn’t trust the sound of his voice so he all but nods, squeezing Harry’s hand gently. They’re about to kiss again, when they’re interrupted – Louis clears throat, standing at the landing of the stairs. He looks hesitant as he’s uninvited, but Niall would do anything to break the tension just now. Harry wraps a hand securely around Niall’s waist, pulling him close.

“How about I take you two out for dinner?” Louis suggests kindly, a friendly smile on his face. Harry and Niall exchange confuse glances – but then Niall remembers how he had been trying to apologize to him the other day. “Okay. Name a time and place; we’ll be there.” Niall grins and Harry looks down at him, confusion plastered all over his face. He’d explain later. “Actually, I was thinking of maybe picking you both up? This Saturday around seven? There’s a really good restaurant I want you guys to try that –“