Chapter 23.

Niall and Harry hadn't really talked much after their breakup. In fact, neither of them had said anything at all to each other. Not even a "hello" in the corridors in school or checking up on one another in the hallway of their flats.

Niall thought it was for the best. Right? It was good to be on the safe side. He didn't want to see Harry's career thrown away if they were caught.

Niall was currently sitting in his music class with Zayn, strumming his guitar as he read a piece of music. But his mind was blank. He wasn't really paying attention. Mr. Grimshaw is his music teacher and since the incident at the restaurant, he's felt on edge being around him.

"All right class, remember the music trip we're taking is next Friday so I'd like all forms signed and returned before then. Also, I've asked Mr. Styles to come along and assist me. Hope you're all looking forward it." Mr. Grimshaw beams and at that the last sentence, his eyes fall on Niall who shifts away from him.

When the bell rings, Niall sets his guitar and it's case and he makes his way toward Mr. Grimshaw, feeling nervous. Zayn waits outside patiently for him. "Sir, I can't attend the trip." Niall says, fumbling with his bag. Mr. Grimshaw looks up from his desk. “How come?”

“I have no family to sign the form.” Niall explains weakly, feeling a little sentimental. Mr. Grimshaw looks him up and down, studying him curiously. “I’m sorry to hear that, Niall. I’m sure Zayn will fill you in with the trip.” Mr. Grimshaw sighs, knowing Zayn is listening in on their conversations. Niall nods, thanking him – although he’s not really sure what for – and heads out the door with Zayn.

But, as it turns out, Maura is back to see her son in the next few days to collect his rent. Niall hadn’t been so happy to see her before. He felt like he needed a shoulder to cry on, after everything with Harry. Maura’s not afraid to start the topic of the curly-haired lad one evening, when she’s cooking dinner. “Where’s that boy of yours, Harry? I’ve missed his smile.” Maura admits, chuckling fondly and Niall tenses. “I don’t know.” There’s a short pause.

“You don’t know?”

“I don’t see him anymore, mum.” Niall explains sheepishly, rubbing his cold arms. Maura stops hovering over the cooker and turns to face Niall. “What? How come?”

“We split up a while ago –“

“Oh, I knew that boy was up to no good! Taking advantage of a strapping, young lad like you – let me have a word with him, I’ll sort him out –“ Maura was rushing toward the door, to catch Harry, when Niall stopped her. “No, wait! It was my fault, I ended things with him.” Niall continues and Maura glances at her son, studying him curiously. “Why? What happened? You were so good together.” She gushes and Niall smirks, rubbing behind his neck awkwardly.

“It was getting too hard, mum. To hide things, I mean. The more I spent time with him, the more difficult it got to be sneaky. I thought…I thought I was doing what was right. I thought I was protecting him.” Niall shrugs, slumping back down in his chair. Maura heaves a deep sigh, folding up a kitchen cloth and sat opposite him. “Do you miss him?” Maura asks and Niall nods. “Well, then there’s no stopping you two in being back together!” Maura exclaims but Niall shakes his head.

“No. It’s not as simple as that. He – there’s this teacher, who’s close to finding out about us. I just want us to stay separate until it dies down a bit.”

“Oh.”

“Speaking of Mr. Grimshaw, we’ve been told to go on this music trip with him on Friday. I told him I can’t go.” Niall adds, handing Maura an old, folded up square piece of paper that was the consent form. “I take it you want me to sign this?” Maura raises her eyebrows and Niall nods knowingly. “Niall, it’s too risky.” Maura says and Niall whimpers. “Please, mum you can just forge your signature as my guardian or something – besides, I don’t wanna be sitting myself the whole entire class, waiting for them to come back.” Niall pleads and in the end, Maura gives up and signs her signature on the form.