Chapter 7

"Come on Mari, we don't wanna miss it" Gon called as he headed towards the air ship. She raced after them, picking up her bag along the way.

"I wouldn't wanna miss it" she commented in an undertone.

--

"It looks like a diamond!" Gon said in awe as he looked out towards the glittering landscape below the air ship. They had boarded and now Mari, Gon and killua sat by the windows looking out, having too much energy to sleep like Leorio and kurapika. She listened to Gon and killua talk,

"Killua? Have you got parents?"

"Yes, of course"

"What do they do?"

"Assassins" she looked at killua, hmm poor kid she thought already guessing what his life had been like, she listened with an impassive expression as killua talked and he confirmed her suspicions. Killua didn't want to be an assassin, he ran away and decided to do the hunter exam. Interesting..... They were similar in some ways she though absentmindedly while staring out the window. She sense someone, a presence at the edge of her range. Tilting her head in the direction she paused the presence having already move to the other side of the group. Interesting, she thought will a smile, head turning the other way unlike Gon and killua who both jumped to their feet looking down the corridor. The old man - Netero stood tall walking towards the group as a sly smile crawled up her lips, "what's up?"

The smile on his face confirm her thoughts, what a quick old man. Seems like killua had the same thoughts what a sharp boy she had her eye on, "you're a really fast for your age"

"Really? I was walking without haste" counter Netero his face unchanging, but the twinkle in his eyes gave him away.

Gon obvious looked between the pair confused, while Mari rolled her eyes at his statement and the sparks now flying between the chairman and young assassin. "Don't you want to play with me?" Netero suddenly asked.

She ears twitched she listened now interested it the game Netero was suggesting. He led them to an empty room. It was large and Netero stood in the middle with a ball tucked under his arm, she notice straight away that the man wasn't using his right hand or left foot but decided to not mention it, instead opting to watch as killua and Gon played with the old man.

She watched, smiling. The pair soon found who that they couldn't beat him straight on and came up with some interesting plans that almost worked against the old man. But he wasn't chairman for nothing. She laughed at Gon's attempted with his shoes and nodded in approval at killua's blacklist skills, they had potential that's for sure.

But they still had a lot to learn.

"Aargh! That old bag is getting on my nerves!" killua complained giving up on the task, "Let's go Gon"

"I'm gonna try a little longer" Gon commented looking at killua.

Killua shrugged, she felt the air shifted about him. looking at him out of the corner of her eye, blue hues locked onto his retreating form - it was like something was about to snap in the young assassin. "Ok, good luck. I'm gonna rest a little"

Killua left, leaving Gon to play with Netero, she continued to watched, as Gon attempted to take the ball. She was worried about killua, his lust had started to increase steadily as the game continued. No doubt due to frustration. She hoped the boy didn't do anything stupid, well that was a lie... she hoped he didn't do anything stupid without her there to watch the outcome. He was such a cute kid, her attention was dragged back to gon and the game as the wannabe hunter tried to head butt the chairman. Letting the situation with killua slid, he could handle himself.

CRASH!

Her head snapped towards the young boy, taken out of her thoughts, as blue hues darted towards gon. He had crashed into the wall..... Head first. Poor boy was going to give himself concussion if he wasn't careful, he sat up not caring about the protenal head injury he most likely has with the biggest grin on his face she seen so far. "You used your right hand right?"

"er, yes" Netero said confused at the boys reaction.

"Hurray! I won!" the boy yelled jumping up before propyl falling asleep.

She blinked giggling, as what gon had said sank in, giggles grew into a roaring laugher. Of course he would say something like that! He gave up trying to get the ball and wanted Netero to use his other hand or foot! Classic Gon! She wiped a tear away, and stood walking to the boy. Unslinging her bag she checked the boys head and vitals. He perfectly fine, she sighed, no damaged apart from a small cut with she put a plaster on.

"Well, miss, fancy a game?" Netero asked.

She looked towards him in thought, "sure, got time to waste" she smiled.

Leaving her bag on the floor, she walked towards Netero, "I just have to take the ball from ya right?"

"Yes, and I make you a hunter on the spot"

She consider the proposals, "nah, rather compete the exam and..." she showed him the ball in her hand, "...your underestimating me" she grinned, the man shocked that she had managed to get the ball so easily from him.

She passed him the ball back, and this time he began to act seriously, dodging and darting about the room, Mari keeping pace with the man. She flipped back, bare foot kicking the ball upwards out of the man gripped. As soon as the foot touched the ground she darted towards him her palm open stuck him in the chest, her body sideways on.

He let out a grunt and time slowed, the ball slowly fell in a downwards arch as the pair continued to spar. She smiled like the devil at the entertainment. They had attacked and counter each other for a few moments, dancing a violent and deadly dance. She saw the punch before it hit her chin upwards, she twisted in the air bring her foot up to kick his temple. He caught it, so she kicked with the other foot. His other hand grabbing that, making both his arms out of action. She grinned boarder if possible, she leaned forward towards the man, using inhuman strength in her legs; she broke his grip and wrap themselves around his neck. Dragging him backwards.

He went with the movement as soon as his shoulder touched the floor he stuck kicking her upper back making her lose her grip and rolled, she slowly stood cracking her shoulders and place hands on her hips, "having fun yet?" she asked, as the ball hit the floor completely forgotten by the pair.

"Lots, Mari you have trained in nen correct?" the old man asked curious.

Her smiled dropped, and head cocked in confusion, "nen?"

"I take that as a no, but you have been using it" the man stated.

Then something clicked, "wait! Is that nen thingy, the stuff with ya aura and make it look like you're doing magic?" she asked.

"Yes, I take it you have then without being taught," Netero smiled, "you're a natural at it, though I can't tell which category you're in"

She shrugged, "I don't really know, I have been using my abilities for a long time, I don't need anyone to teach me anything"

"True, true, definitely a natural. Would you mind telling me your abilities?"

She pouted, arms cross "where's the fun in that"

Netero chuckled and shrugged, "worth a try"

to be continued.... 

hi guys!

question for you all.. shall i update date all the current chapters i have even though they need a little bit of editing... or shall i update slowly and wait til i edit them before updating? 

just a thought! 

happy hunting xx