Chapter 12

The way he stood, evenly balance and loose, she would put at a guessed that the man was an assassin, he had that air about him. She grinned and licked her lips, she wish she could play with him, but she couldn't do yet anyhow. 

So she waited.

---

It took a while but she waited for Hisoka to finally leave the clearing and only then did she noticed the little mouse following him, poor Gon. She hoped he manged whatever he had planned, he could be quite creative when he wanted to.

When they were out of ear shot, she hopped down into the clearing. Bare feet getting tickled in the grass as she skipped towards the heap of earth the no longer pin-man was sleeping, a strange place to sleep she thought. Like a curious animal she circled it, head cocked as she wondered. She grinned and finally, jumped onto the earth pile.

Nothing happened, she frowned as she jumped up and down. Still nothing, she stepped off it disappointed and crouched by it and poked the pile – a pout spread across her face.

"Your no fun" she stuck her tongue at the pile – not that it responded back – before lying back and looking up at the sky. It was alive and filled to the brink with stars. A black canvas scattered with starlight that just added to the scenery of a light breeze swaying in the trees and the animals shuttling in the undergrowth, the world at peace in that instant. A breath-taking peace, shame she couldn't be part of it.

She made her bag into a pillow and took out phone while humming a slow tune to herself, as the night drifted away.

"Don't you ever sleep?" an annoyed voice drifted towards her.

She blinked and changed her position, so that she was face to face with the no-longer pin-man, hands on her chin as she lay on the grassy floor. "Nope, I have a serve class of insomnia, one of the reasons I have medication I think!" she smiled.

The man, had just his head stuck out of the ground and she must say, he was very, very cute. Her smile widen, "the other reasons?" he inquired in the same annoyed tone.

"Hmm~ well I'm quite unhinged you see" she giggled, then asked. "You want to play?"

"No, Hisoka would be upset with me"

She pouted, "shame~"

She stood and sketched before grinning down at the man, eyes glowing in the dark. "I don't think we have been introduce! I'm Mari nice to meet ya"

"Illumi, I would give you my card in case you needed to me kill someone, however I think you could handle yourself."

She pointed at the man in triumph, "haha, I knew it!" then stuck out her tongue, "see ya later Ill~umi~"

She turned on her kneels and skipped into the shadows of night. Didn't take her long to find her favourite sliver haired kid – killua. At this point he had already got his badge and was waiting for the week to finish. His wandering and hand in his pocket, seemed randomly and casual but he was slowly but surely making his way towards where the boat of docked.

She grinned as she sneaked up behind him, when she was close enough she picked the boy up wrapped him in her arms, "Peek A Boo!" she chuckled loudly.

"Mari!" the boy yelled struggling to get out of her bear hug, "will you stop sneaking up on me!"

She grinned putting the boy down, Killua turn a scowled on his face, but it was the tinge of red on his cheeks that she notice. "I can't help myself, your reactions are cute!" she giggled, eyeing the younger boys face.

She fell into step beside the boy, as they walked in silent. "You got your badge then?" asked killua.

"Yup, when finally he got onto the island, pretty boring though, you?" she asked hands linked together behind her back, just under her back pack.

He shrugged, "same, got my other badge. Got to agree with you, this thing is pretty easy"

"What were you expecting?" she asked watching the boy.

"Eh not sure really, I just didn't wanna be at home, it's been pretty fun actually, if not easy"

"Yeah" she smiled at him, he was such a cute kid, before motioning him to follow her back towards the coast.

She settled back into her tree along with killua, who was uncomfortable with the whole situation. He watched as she rummaged about in her bag, she clutched as object at him, he caught it easily and looked down at it. A chocolate bar, he gave a questioning look at Mari who had stuck a lollipop in her own mouth.

How did she know? That his favourite sweets was chocolate? He shrugged unwrapping the chocolate, it wasn't like any poison could do him harm, and he doubted Mari would poison him. She didn't seem the type to poison....... well maybe he should say didn't seem to be in the mood to poison him. He was never so sure what to expect with Mari, the female in general confused him but something about her quality told him she meant him no harm, for most of the time anyway.

Killua leant against the tree and looked up towards the sky, chewing the chocolate bar, it wasn't poisoned. "Where did you get the chocolate from?" he asked curiously.

"Oh, I just picked it up along the way" she grinned.

"You seem to have everything in that bag" he sat up, looking pointy at the bag.

"There's a lot of thing I don't have in this bag though" she cocked her head to the side in thought. She rather not show killua the contestants she didn't need him knowing, it could spoil her fun.

"Like what?" he asked, it having perked his interested.

She put a finger to her lips and leant in, "that's for me to know, little kitten" she whisper in a dark tone.

Killua gulped subconsciously, before turning away. Sometimes she really scared him reminding him of his deadly family. She grinned at his reaction, he was adorable. Silent descended on the pair, as she took out her phone. It had been awhile since she had been civilization and it seemed the right time to ask. She sent out a mass text to all the information brokers she been working with, over the years.

M- Has any hens lay an egg?

No response, it seemed the hens haven't been laying any eggs lately, and if they did they have ended in a dead end. She was about to put her phone away, when it vibrated. She looked down.

HAB- the hen has laid eggs, but the chicks have gone and left the nest.

She grinned, there was still hope it her task. Quickly she sent a messaged back.

M- even if the chicks have left the nest. The shells can still tell a tale.

HAB- and so they shall.

She giggled waiting for the file to be transferred to her phone for her to decrypt. Killua giving her a weird looked but not asking what the strange girl was laughing at. He didn't want to know... 

To be continued.... 

hi all! 

what do you think of the story soo far?!? 

would really like to hear your comments! anywhere i can improve? let us know XD 

Finally Mari meets Illumi and all his stoticness! will she ever break his stone mask... :) 

happy hunting folks xx