Forgotten

2

PRIS

Pris was anxiously waiting with Kristine and Mary. They were sitting outside Dominique's hospital room. Gusto nyang pumasok sa kwarto at alamin ang nangyayari. She was terrified the moment she learned what happened to Dominique.

After her photo shoot in Iceland, she called Dominique immediately before boarding her plane back to the Philippines but her girlfriend didn't answer. She must be busy, she thought. Pris called Kristine Ricamora instead to let her friend know she's coming back home and have a driver come pick her up at the airport.

Pris was surprised when Kristine herself came for her instead. She knew something was wrong when she saw her friend's troubled face.

Pinaliwanag lahat ni Kristine ang nangyari habang lulan sila ng kotse nito. Parang binuhusan ng malamig na tubig si Pris sa nalaman. Dominique's car crashed on a tree after swerving to avoid another car coming at her. It happened the day she last spoke to her. Miraculously, Dominiqueonly had minor injuries. She was stabilized but still in a coma.

Kahit pagod sa biyahe, dumiretso sila ni Kristine sa Ricamora Medical Hospital, ang pag-aari ng pamilya nito, kung saan naka-confine si Dominique. Kristine assured Pris, that the best doctors were monitoring and attending to Dominique closely.

Tita Edith, Dominique's mother, was there when Pris and Kristine arrived. Mary was there too. Tumayo ang Ginang nang makita syang pumasok sa private room at niyakap sya ng mahigpit.

"You just missed your Tito Fernando. Kaaalis lang nya. He needs to attend an important board meeting." Si Mr. Encina ang tinutukoy nito. Tita Edith's eyes looked sleepy and weary. "How's your trip?"

"Fine," medyo distracted na sagot ni Pris dahil nakatuon na ang tingin nya sa natutulog pa ring kasintahan. Dominique looked vulnerable lying on the bed. There were bruises and wounds on her arms and face. Her forehead was bandaged. "How is she?"

"According to the doctors, she has mild traumatic brain injury. So far, she's fine but I'm still worried dahil hindi pa rin sya nagigising. It's almost a week now," naiiyak na sabi ni Tita Edith. Niyakap ito ni Pris nang mahigpit.

"Tita, I think you need rest. Baka ikaw naman ang magkasakit," nag-aalalang sabi ni Pris dito. Mrs. Encina looked pale. "Why don't you go home and get some sleep. Kami na muna ang magbabantay kay Dominique."

"Hindi rin ako makakatulog, iha." Umiling na sabi ni Tita Edith. "But I'd like to stretch my legs and get some coffee. Would you like one?"

"Sure, Tita. Samahan na lang kita," alok ni Pris.

"Stay here. I know you miss her," pinilit ngumiting sabi ni Tita Edith saka na ito lumabas ng kwarto.

Pris sat before Dominique's bedside. Her hands were shaking when she reached out and held Dominique's. She gave it a careful squeeze, afraid she might inflict pain. Naramdaman nyang tumulo ang mga luha nya. Pris mentally prayed to God to make Dominique okay.

Kung pwede lang na makipagpalit kay Dominique, mas gugustuhin ni Pris na sya na lang ang nasaktan at hindi ito. She stood up and gently kissed her lips. As if waiting for it, Dominique's eyes moved then it slowly opened.

Pris' heart soared with happiness. Nagtama ang kanilang mga mata. "I'm here." Pumikit muli ang mga mata ni Dominique. Tila nahihirapan pa itong dumilat. Naramdaman din nya ang excitement nina Mary at Kristine.

"Should we call the doctor?" tanong ni Mary.

Maya-maya, tuluyan nang bumukas ang mga mata ni Dominique. Gising na ito. Finally! Pris and Dominique stared into each other's eyes for a moment.

Until Dominique asked, "Who are you?"

Pris was confused. She thought Dominique was joking but when she studied her face, she was serious. She was looking at her like it was her first time seeing Pris. She couldn't move but managed to ask Mary to call a doctor.

Bumalot ang takot sa puso nya lalo nang sagutin nito ang tanong ni Kristine kung ano ang huling naaalala nito. Dominique was recalling her memory from Sagada almost 3 years ago.

The attending physician came in with Mrs. Encina. Pris watched Dominique answered the doctor's questions, confusion written on her face. Then she saw her panicking. Pris was feeling the same but she needed to be strong for Dominique.

They locked eyes for a moment when Dominique turned to her with terror in her eyes. Pris willed her to calm down. She wanted to say that everything's going be alright. That she'd stay by her side. Dominique seemed to calm down.

Pris reluctantly followed Kristine and Mary when the doctor politely asked them to go out so he could talk to Dominique and Mrs. Encina.

Sabay-sabay tumayo sina Pris, Kristine at Mary nang bumukas ang kwarto ni Dominique at lumabas mula roon ang doktor kasaunod nang naluluhang si Tita Edith.

"She's sleeping." Mrs. Encina's face was full of grief. "Binigyan sya ng pampatulog. She was so upset and kept on crying."

Pris felt a squeeze in her heart. She couldn't bear Dominique suffering.

"What's happening, Tita?" Nag-aalalang tanong ni Mary.

"Dr. Samson said, there will be series of test to run before he can fully diagnosed Dominique's condition. But she showed signs of possible Retrograde Amnesia. Her last memory was her trip to Sagada three years ago." Tuluyan nang umiyak ang Ginang. Niyakap sya ng mahigpit ni Mary.

"That's why she can't remember me." Pris had to sit down.She felt weak with the sudden realization. She felt Kristine's warm embrace. Hindi na nya napigilan ang pagluha. She was wiped out of Dominique's memory.

Bakit ito nangyayari? Pris remembered that nagging feeling she had before. That everything was too good to be true. That something was waiting around the corner to snatch away her happiness. Na hiram lang ang kaligayahang nadarama nya at darating ang araw na babawiin ito sa kanya.

Si Dominique ang kaligayahan nya. Her beloved. Her heart. Her life. Mahal na mahal nya ang dalaga at hindi nya ito kayang mawala. She couldn't let destiny take Dominique away from her. They belonged together.