Unwritten

30
DOMINIQUE

Tinawagan ni Dominique si Julia para humingi ng paumanhin at sabihan itong hindi na muna itutuloy ang overnight nilang dalawa sa Tagaytay. “You don’t have to say sorry, Dom. Sina Kristine at Jessica ang sasama sa akin. They explained everything. Enjoy kayo ha!” Kinikilig na sabi ni Julia. Naiiling na lang si Dominique. Hindi nya alam kung matutuwa ba sya o maiinis. Pakiramdam nya pinagkaisahan sya ng mga ito.

Bago pa man lumubog ang araw, they stopped at a seafood restaurant somewhere in Tarlac or Pampanga to eat early dinner. Pinili nilang pumuwesto malapit sa bintana para makita ang mga pananim na bulaklak sa garden ng resto.

Biglang bumuhos ang napakalakas na ulan habang hinihintay nilang i-serve ang mga orders nila. Napatingin lang sa labas si Dominique at pinagmasdan ang pagpatak ng ulan sa mga dahon at bulaklak.

Watching the rain brought a smile on Dominique’s lips for some reason. She started humming a tune she couldn’t remember where she heard before. Then she noticed that Pris was looking at her strangely. “W-what? Pangit ba ang tono ko?” Bigla syang naconcious.

Pris shook her head but was still staring at her. “D-Do you know that song?”

“No. It sounded familiar. It reminds me of the rain for some reason,” sagot nya.

“I see,” Pris said smiling but didn’t say anything after that. Pareho lang silang nakatingin sa labas.

Maya-maya’y si Dominique naman ang napatitig kay Pris, who started singing softly the same tune she was humming earlier. “Reaching for something in the distance. So close you can almost taste it. Release your inhibition…” Pris looked at her straight in the eye. Dominique was once again lost in those warm brown eyes. The same pair of eyes she last saw before falling asleep in Sagada and first thing she saw after waking up in the hospital. Same brown eyes that gave her assurance and hope that everything would be alright. “Feel the rain in your skin. No one else can feel it for you. Only you can let it in. No one else, no one else can speak the words on your lips. Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten.”

“Unwritten. Just like my life,” Dominique thought. Her memories for almost three years were wiped out. Its funny the last thing she remembered was her trip to Sagada. It was the time she wanted for a new beginning. Then she woke up and found herself wanting the same thing. New beginning. Gustong- gusto pa rin nyang bumalik ang lahat ng ala-ala nya pero paano kung hindi na? She’d been remembering some of them but she wanted them all. “I guess, I’m just being impatient.” She specifically wanted to remember everything about Pris.

“Anong iniisip mo?” Pris asked and gently held her hand.

Dominique felt like electricity were trailing slowly on her whole body. “My memories of you. Our memories. I’m thinking about them. Paano kung hindi na bumalik ang lahat?”

Pris looked into her eyes intently. “Then we’ll make new ones,” she said. “Just like what the song said, Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. You are the author of your life. Ikaw ang bahalang magsulat ng kwento ng buhay mo. You have the power to decide what path to take and what to do with your life. Just follow your heart. I just hope that…” Biglang nag-alangan ito.

“That what?” Dominique urged her to go on.

Hindi na naituloy ni Pris ang sasabihin nito dahil lumapit na ang waiter para ihain ang order nila. They enjoyed the seafood meals they ordered. Kinuwento ni Pris sa kanya kung paano nito nakuha ang black eye. Tawa lang sila nito ng tawa. Naglambing si Pris na ipaghimay nya ng hipon at pinagbigyan nya naman.