Max

4

DOMINIQUE

The next day, Pris was back and gave Dominique a hardbound copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. After giving her the book, she walked out and stayed outside the whole day. When Dominique woke up in the middle of the night, Pris was sleeping again with her head on the bed and holding her hand. Dominique made no attempt of removing her hand from her grasp. She went back to sleep.

Sinabi ng Mama nya na sa tuwing natutulog sya saka lang pumapasok si Pris para bantayan sya. Umuuwi lang ito para maligo at magpalit ng damit.

After series of test and procedure, Dominique was unable to retrieve her memory yet. It frustrated her but she tried to be strong for her family and herself. She wanted to be hopeful but most of the time it was difficult. Her condition might be permanent or temporary. She hoped it's the latter. She was like a book with few chapters missing.

Marcus also kept entering her mind. She silently cried when no one was around. Nasasaktan pa rin sya sa tuwing naiisip na nagpakasal ito sa iba. She didn't know how she survived the pain in the last three years. Dahil ngayon, sariwa pa rin sa kanya ang sakit at galit na nararamdaman nya. Sometimes, she wished she'd forget about Marcus and Lindsey too.

Ngunit hindi na sya pwedeng magpatalo. She already made a mistake once. The scar on her wrist was the leaving proof. She remembered promising herself a new beginning when she was in Sagada.

"Hey, wake up," Dominique heard Pris' voice. Nang imulat nya ang mga mata, napakalapit ng mukha nito sa kanya. Naamoy na naman nya ang mabangong perfume nito. "Sorry," sabi nito saka medyo lumayo. Pris' eyes twinkled with naughtiness. "Your mom went home but she'll be back tomorrow morning. I have something for you," she was whispering excitedly. "Don't tell anyone. I had to sneak him here."

Sneak who? Dominique was intrigued. Pris put a powder blue carrier on the sofa and opened it. She gasped when she saw the cutest Himalayan cat she'd ever seen. Itwas big and blue eyed. It had a white and brown fur. Pris carried the cat and placed it in Dominique's arms.

The cat seemed comfortable with her and didn't wriggle free. It purred when Dominique stroked its fur. "You're so cute. What's your name?"

"He's name is Max," Pris answered and sat down on a chair near Dominique's bed. "Miss ka na nya."

Napatingin si Dominique kay Pris. "Is...Is he mine?"

"He's our..." Pris hesitated awkwardly. She cleared her throat. "He's yours. He's your baby."

Dominique hugged Max. "Sorry, Max. Hindi kita maalala. But now that I know about you, I will take care of you paglabas ko ng hospital." She buried her face in his fur. "Ikaw ba ang nag-aalaga sa kanya?" She turned to Pris, who was looking at her longingly but it disappeared quickly.

Pris smirked. "Yes, when I'm not here. And I'm charging you P1500 per day. He's high maintenance, you know."

Dominique found herself smiling. "Thank you."

"Anything just to see you smile," Pris seriously said.

Dominique felt her sincerity."We must be really closed." She remembered her resume. They were bestfriends. "So, you really are my best friend?"

Pris looked like she wanted to tell her something. "Yes, I am." Dominique knew she wasn't telling her the whole truth but didn't press her on it because she was afraid.

It's very ironic. Wala syang maalala pero bakit takot din syang malaman kung anong nangyari sa kanya in the past three years?

"Paano at kailan tayo nagkakilala?" tanong ni Dominique habang hinahaplos ang natutulog ng si Max sa tabi nya.

"We first met in San Juan last year. I rescued you from a rogue Frisbee and a very big scary guy," nangingiting sabi ni Pris.

"Really? Totoo ba yan?" Hindi naniniwalang sabi ni Dominique.

"Oo kaya!"

Pris told her how they met last year. Dominique learned that she spent the entire summer in Ilocos with her cousin Mary. She bonded with Kristine and her friends. She also became closed with Pris. Dominique could sense there was more to the story. Their story.

"It's our 1st Anniversary today," Pris said.

"What?"

Natigilan si Pris sa sinabi nito at nagblush. "I mean, frienniversary. Today is April 8. We officially became...friends last year. To celebrate that, I brought Max to you and..." May kinuha itong isang maliit na box na katabi ng pet carrier saka pinakita sa kanya. "Chicken wings! Our favorite."

Hindi na napigilang tumawa ni Dominique. "You are crazy!" Pinagmasdan ni Dominique ang maganda nitong mukha. Ano bang meron sa babaing ito at nagagawa nitong pangitiin sya at patawanin? "I'm sorry because I can't remember you," maya-maya's sabi ni Dominique. "I must really trust you to let you get close to me. Last thing I remember, I wasn't keen to make friends. I'm sure you know my story."

Pris nodded. "I know. If I have to earn that trust back, I will do it." Hinawakan ni Pris ang kamay nya. Dominique felt that electricity again. Longing was back in Pris' eyes. "I miss you," she whispered, a little bit teary eyed.Malungkot nitong inalis ang tingin sa kanya. For some reason, ayaw nyang makita itong malungkot. "Iiwan ko muna si Max sayo. Better eat the chicken too while it's still hot. Doon muna ako sa labas."

"Dito ka lang." Hindi na napigilan ni Dominique ang sariling hawakan ito sa kamay. Tinignan ni Pris ang magkahawak nilang kamay. Bumitaw sya kaagad."Let's share the chicken. After all, it's our anniversary." Dominique felt herself blushed.

Nagliwanag ang mukha ni Pris. Bumalik ito sa pagkakaupo saka nila pinagsaulahan ang chicken wings. Nakipagkwentuhan si Dominique sa dalaga na tila matagal na nya itong kilala. Technically, they knew each other for a year but for Dominique, it was like a new beginning. She wished she could get her memory back soon. Sigurado syang, they had fun together. Ayaw nyang malaman ang tungkol sa kanilang dalawa sa kwento lang. She wanted to remember how it felt.

Biglang pumasok si Dr. Samson kasama ang isang babaing nurse nang maabutan silang nagtatawanan at kumakain. Dominique and Pris stared at the doctor guiltily. Nanlaki ang mga mata ni Dr. Samson nang makita ang pusang natutulog sa tabi ni Dominique.

"Ms. San Victores, I'm sure you are aware that pets are not allowed?" Dr. Samson's voice was still gentle even when he's crossed.

"But Dr. Samson, Max is NOT a pet,"Pris exclaimed, mocked horror written on her face. "He's Dominique's baby!"

Dr. Samson sighed patiently. "Ms. San Victores..."

"Please do not speak that way about Max. He might hear you," Pris continued. Tinakpan pa nito ang dalawang teynga nang natutulog na pusa para hindi nito kunwari marinig ang sinasabi ng doktor. "He might get offended. We wanted Max to feel that he is loved."

Dominique attempted to suppress her smile but couldn't. Napansin nyang natatawa rin ang nurse na nasa likod ni Dr. Samson.

"Don't be cruel, Dr. Samson. That's inhumane!" Pris said while shaking her head in exasperation.

Hindi na napigilan ni Dominique at ng nurse ang tumawa. Pris was so funny. Maging si Dr. Samson ay napailing na lang at napangiti.

Napansin ng doctor ang ngiti sa mga labi ni Dominique kaya nang matapos nitong i-check ang dalaga hinayaan na lamang nito si Max.

"Max can stay, for tonight, if he's behaved," sabi ni Dr. Samson.

"He's behaved. Pinalaki syang mabuti ng Mommy nya," Pris said and turned to Dominique, who was still smiling.

"But you need to take him home by morning, Ms. San Victores. Or I will have you banned from the hospital," Dr. Samson warned before leaving.

"I promise to be banned. I mean, to take Max home," Pris said struggling to suppress her smile and give the doctor her most serious face.

Dominique noticed the lady nurse threw a quick admiring glance at Pris, who was kissing Max, before heading out. She felt an unexplained irritation towards the nurse.