The Photo

14
DOMINIQUE

Dominique was a little bit nervous. Isinama kasi sya ni Mary para pumunta sa campus ng Philippine Academy of Arts and Music somewhere in Bulacan. They were invited by Olivia San Victores to visit. Malapit na kasing mag-open ang school year at maraming aspiring artists and musicians ang magtutungo roon for audition. May mga live performances and exhibits din na hinanda ang academy para sa mga bisita for entertainment and to showcase the students’ brilliance.

Mrs. Editha Encina, Dominique’s mother, also asked Mary to personally invite Mrs. Elizabeth San Victores on her birthday. Dahil nasa bahay lang si Dominique, kinumbinsi sya ni Mary na samahan ito. Pumayag na rin sya dahil ayaw syang tigilan ng pinsan.

“Cousin, relax. Sobrang laki ng academy, hindi kayo magkikita ni Pris dun,” Mary assured her cousin. “We are not even sure if she’s there. Sabi ni Kristine, may photo shoot sya sa Dubai.”

Dominique couldn’t help but feel guilty whenever she hear Pris’ name. Three weeks na rin silang hindi nagkakausap nito after she broke up with her. Nakita nya ito two weeks ago sa bahay nila. Lumabas ito sa study room ng Papa nya kasama sina Kristine at Jessica. Hindi sya nito nakita dahil nakapagtago sya agad. She’s already a family friend kaya kahit wala na sila nito hindi pa rin malabong magkita sila. Ayaw mang aminin ni Dominique pero nami-miss na nya si Pris.

Her anxiety disappeared for a moment when Mary’s car entered the sprawling courtyard of the academy. The three lane road had green hedges and Italian cypresses on both side. Dominique could see fountains and labyrinth gardens. There were tables and benches where current and aspiring students sat practicing musical instruments. Some of them were happily sitting on the Bermuda grass chatting or doing whatever they were doing.

Dominique was impressed when she saw the 6 storey Victorian style academy building. It looked intimidating and regal. She felt like she was visiting the Buckingham Palace. It was built during late 1920’s and founded by Enrique Vera. The academy was passed from one generation to another. Pris and Olivia would most likely inherit the legacy.

Mary lowered her window and asked the guard where to park. Some visitor’s with vehicles were asked to use the parking lot before entering academy’s driveway. There were golf-cart-like vehicles that students and visitors could ride to enter the academy. But when Mary showed a red card with the academy’s insignia they were motioned to enter the academy’s gate.

“VIP pass,” Mary explained. “Binigay ni Olivia para pwede tayong lumibot kahit saan sa campus. We could even watch auditions.”

“Really?” Na-excite na sabi ni Dominique. “Can we visit the art exhibit?”

“Of course.” Nangiting sabi ni Mary. “We need to see the Queen first.”

Natawa si Dominique. Mary was referring to Mrs. Elizabeth San Victores. Bumalik ang kaba ni Dominique. She felt terrible for breaking her daughter’s heart. Pris’ mother visited her once when she was still in the hospital. She was an older version of Pris. Beautiful and queenlike.

Nawala ang pangamba ni Dominique nang magiliw syang niyakap ni Tita Beth nang pinapasok sila ng secretary nito sa Director’s Office.

“Still beautiful as ever I see.” Tita Beth looked at her approvingly even if Dominique was only wearing a black cardigan, white Gucci shirt, skin tight jeans and Christian Loubotin heels.

“Thank you, Tita. And so are you.” Dominique looked at Tita Beth admiringly. For a woman in her 50’s, the pianist looked like she was only in her 40’s. Kita man sa mukha nito ang pagod, napakaganda pa rin ni Tita Beth. “Mary and I came here to also invite you on my mother’s birthday. It’s a family only affair. I hope you and your family could come.”