Avalanche

38
DOMINIQUE

NOVEMBER 2018

"Is this the "embarrass your daughter" part?" Pris scowled at her mother and tried to get the large photo album Dominique was perusing. She wasn't happy when Tita Beth brought out the album full of Pris' childhood pictures. "At ikaw naman, tuwang-tuwa ka?" She glared at Dominique, who was smiling.

"Bakit ba? Ang cute mo kaya," Dominique said. Ibinaba nya ang album sa lap nya at uminom ng juice.

Nasa porch sila ng Victorian style house nina Pris kung saan nakatira sina Tita Beth at Olivia.

Kasalukuyan nilang ine-enjoy ang strawberry shortcake na si Olivia mismo ang nagbake. It was a Sunday and Pris' mother invited them for Lunch.

"Mom, hindi mo dapat ipinapakita yan. Those are incriminating pictures. Dominique might use them against me," pagdadahilan ni Pris and crossed her arms.

Umiling lang si Tita Beth at uminom ng tea. Nangingiti lang si Dominique sa kasintahan. Tuwang-tuwa sya nang inilabas ng Ginang ang album para ipakita sa kanya. Kahit bata pa lang, kita na sa mga larawan na napakaganda ni Pris. Kita din na mahilig na ito sa photography dahil laging may nakasukbit na camera sa leeg nito. May mga pictures itong tumutugtog ng piano o kaya naman punong-puno ito ng putik dahil nadapa ito habang naliligo sa ulan.

"Makulit ka na talaga kahit noon pa noh?" Dominique teased.

"You have no idea, iha," natatawang sang-ayon ni Tita Beth. "There was this one time. She was around 5 or 6. She gave us a scare because she got lost in the woods. Buti na lang may nakakita sa kanya agad. She was almost attacked by a wild boar." Tita Beth shook her head. "She always makes me worry. Thank God, you came into her life, Dominique. She settled a bit. I was really frightened when she got stabbed in Cabo, San Lucas."

Pris looked guilty but didn't say anything. Dominique got scared too when she learned the story behind her scar. Parang ayaw na tuloy nyang mawala sa paningin nya si Pris. Naramdaman nyang hinawakan ni Pris ang kamay nya nang makita nitong gumuhit sa mukha nya ang pag-aalala.

"You won't lose me," Pris assured her. "You can tie me to bed if you want. I'll be your slave forever," she naughtily added. Dominique turned red.

"Stop your perverted mouth, sister." Olivia came out carrying a box. "Come with me and test this."

"What's that?" Pris asked.

"My gift for you," Olivia answered.

Tumayo naman si Pris at sumama sa kapatid nito. Naglakad ang mga ito papunta sa landscaped garden sa harap ng porch. Huminto ang mga ito sa fountain at binuksan ang box. Dominique saw Pris hugged her sister. Nagustuhan siguro nito ang regalo.

"Thank you, Dominique for giving my daughter a chance. For loving her," Tita Beth said. Her eyes full of gratefulness while looking into her eyes. "She's a hand full but she loves you so much. Akala ko hindi na ulit magmamahal yan until you came along."

"You don't have to thank me, Tita. Ako dapat ang magpasalamat sa kanya for being so patient with me," Dominique said smiling. "You're right though. She's naughty but she loves me." Napatingin sya sa diamond ring na binigay nito. "And I love her too, Tita." Tita Beth smiled at her sweetly.

Dominique heard a buzzing sound. She and Tita Beth's attention was turned to a white drone hovering above them. And suddenly memories rushed through her like an avalanche.

She was walking on the beach. People were busy having fun around her. Dominique heard a buzzing sound and a black drone stopped on mid air few feet away from her. She noticed a number "8" sticker placed near its lens. She smiled and waved, then the drone flew away.