Tattoo

7

DOMINIQUE

Dominique was shocked when she saw a tattoo on her right shoulder blade. She just had her shower. It was after wrapping a towel around her body and was about to exit the bathroom when she caught her reflection on the mirror. Noong una, akala nya may dumi sa likod nya but when she looked carefully, it was indeed a two inch tattoo! She had herself tattooed with what looked like a dragon eating its tail. What was it called? Ouroboros?

Ano ba ang pinaggagagawa nya in the last three years? Had she gone wild? Nabaliw ba sya sa pagkabigo nya sa pag-ibig at kung anu-anong naisip nyang gawin? Though, the tattoo looked cool and beautiful, hindi pa rin sya makapaniwalang nagawa nya iyon. The tattoo was a symbol of infinity. Anong ibig sabihin nun sa kanya? Infinite loneliness? Never ending sadness? It must meant something important to have herself inked. Good thing she didn't find her head shaved when she woke up in the hospital.

It was already a week after she got discharged out of the hospital. Oras na para malaman nya kung anong mga nangyari sa kanya in the last three years. She was still hoping to get her memory back without anyone telling her but she's dying out of curiosity. The tattoo triggered it.

After getting changed into her Minnie Mouse pajama, she sat on her study table and unlocked her drawer where she kept her diaries. She started writing them after attempting suicide. Instead of seeing a psychologist, she chose to pour her heart out on her diary. So if she continued to do so, she must have written the last three years of her life.

She found her diaries. But wait? She only had 2015 and 2016 diaries. Where's the 2017 and 2018? She checked her other drawers but she didn't find anymore diaries. She looked everywhere in her room but found nothing until she saw a large silver safety deposit box hidden in her closet. But what's the combination? Dominique tried her birthday. It didn't work. She tried all of her family members' birthday but it remained locked. She tried all of the possible number combinations she could think of but the box remained unopened.

Dominique sighed in frustration and left the box alone. She's unsure if the two missing diaries were there anyway. Or there's a possibility she stopped writing them. Maybe she got busy at work and didn't have time for it? But what was inside the box? She'd just get back to it later. Hoping she might figure out the combination or better yet, get back all her memories.

She took the two diaries with her on bed and started reading her 2015 entries. According to her diary, after her Sagada trip, she really did go on retail therapy. She bought all of the clothes and shoes she wanted. She disposed all of her boring and conservative outfit and replaced them with sexy but classy ones. Dominique was surprised and delighted when she entered her walk in closet the first night she got home from hospital and saw all of those beautiful designer dresses, shoes and bags. She was amused when she noticed several Disney and Looney toons pajamas and there was one Marvin the Martian t-shirt too. They were so cute but still wondered why she bought them.

There was nothing significant and eventful that happened to Dominique in 2015. As usual, work-bahay lang ang drama nya. Paminsan-minsan syang kumakain sa labas with Kristine and Mary after work or during the weekends. Most of her entries were about Marcus and how she was still hurting. She once saw him with Lindsey while shopping with Kristine. It was very awkward and Kristine had to pull her away from them because she was rooted on the spot staring at them. She cried when she got home after that.

Dominique was proud of herself because she tried to be strong especially when she heard that Lindsey was pregnant. It was painful and it felt like another piece of her heart broke. That should have been her if Lindsey didn't steal her dream and the man she loved. She cried several days after that but thanks to Mary and Kristine, they were there for her. Although she never talked about it, at least she had company and friends.