chapter eighteen

I jolt up.

My heart pounds in my chest, and my breaths are heavy. Tears stream down my face as I break down, light sobs escaping my mouth.

I can't even stop myself, even as I notice Jungkook wake up. He immediately gets up and rushes towards me, a look of concern washing over his face. "Haru! Oh my goodness what's wrong?" He kneels down next to the bed, taking my trembling hands in his.

"I-I-" Another sob escapes my mouth.

"Haru," he gets up and sits next to me, moving his hands to cup my face, "It's okay, you're gonna be okay," he brushes my tears away, wrapping an arm around me and pulling me into his chest.

A feeling of safety envelops me, and it feels like nothing in the world can harm me. It's as if I'm in the hold of an angel.

Jungkook's POV

"I had a nightmare," she mumbles, sniffling.

"You had a nightmare?" I rub her back in circles, my cheek pressed against her soft hair.

She lifts her head up, but I keep my arms around her. Despite the situation, I can't help but notice her puffy eyes and hair that's in the early stages of bed head.

She looks so freaking cute.

A smile tugs at my lips. "It's okay, it was just a nightmare."

But her expression doesn't change. She looks worried...horrified. Her eyebrows are knitted together, and her breaths come out shaky.

Any form of a smile washes away from my face, concern taking over again. "Haru?"

"Jungkook," her voice comes out strained and trembly as tears begins slipping out of her eyes again.

"Yes?" Haru, please don't cry. Please.

"I h-had a nightmare that you w-were sick and y-you..." she breaks down into tears again, tears started to cloud my vision.

"You died."

I bring her into my chest again as she sobs. I try to keep the warmest embrace on her in hopes that she'll stop crying, that she'll forget everything about her dream.

"It's okay, I'm here. Don't cry Haru, please don't cry." I feel tears steam down my face, but quickly wipe them before she can see.

She looks at me, cheeks stained with tears. "Jungkook, please tell me you're gonna be okay. Don't lie just to make me feel better. It...it does more harm than good."

I gulp, blinking away the tears welling in my eyes. "Haru, what did I tell you on the plane?" I gently place a hand on her shoulder, and use the other to cup her face. "I'm going to be okay."

I brush the tears off her cheeks. "Go wash your face now, alright? I'll be right here."

She slowly nods and gets up, heading to the bathroom. As soon as I hear the door lock, I break down, not able to keep in my tears any longer.

I don't understand why this has to happen to me. Of all people, I'm the one who faces the consequences.

Maybe it's...maybe it's what I get for what I did to my dad.

My thoughts become interrupted when I hear my phone ring. It's Jimin. I answer it, and his face fills the area of my screen. "Jungkookie! How've you been?"

"Hyung," my voice cracks.

His face distorts into a look of confusion and worry. "Hey, you okay Kook? What's wrong?"

Before I say anything, I hear someone else's voice. "Jungkook-ah!" It's Yoongi. His face comes into the view of the camera. "Woah there buddy, what's wrong? Were you crying?"

A tear drops into my lap. "She's gonna find out. She's gonna know, sooner or later. And when she does, she's gonna be broken. Broken in a way where nobody can fix her."

{ A / N }

700 reads holy moly

you guys are crazyyy (in the best way possible of course💜)

**edit: when i wrote this i was at 700 reads, and now we reached 1,000 reads!! i'mso incredibly happy right now, thank you!! i appreciate all of you who've been supporting this story up until now💜💜**