chapter forty-nine

Haru's POV

My heart pounds in my chest, tears not seeming to stop running out of my eyes. My hands grip the edges of the cold hospital chair, knuckles turning white. I stare at the floor.

Kidney failure.

Kidney failure.

And I was oblivious to this for how long? I didn't know he had this problem for how long?

Chills run through my body as I remember seeing the blood on his handkerchief. The sound of his cough still rings in my ears.

I wipe my tears away, feeling a throbbing headache coming on from crying too much.

I cover my face, wanting to block out the entire world.

Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder, startling me. I look up and see that it's Yoongi, the rest of the guys following behind him.

Without thinking I immediately stand up and throw my arms around him, breaking down.

He rubs my back, keeping me in his embrace. "Don't cry Haru, it's gonna be okay," he whispers, but I can tell he's been crying too.

I pull away, wiping my tears. "I'm scared he's not gonna m-make it," my breath hitches, "I feel like I-I should've done something. I c-could've done something," I say breaking into tears again.

"No Haru," Taehyung pulls me into his chest, kissing the top of my head, "It's not your fault."

He brushes my tears away with his thumb, not tending to his own.

Seokjin squeezes my shoulder, "It's gonna be okay," he brushes my hair out of my eyes, "No more tears no, okay?"

The doctor comes out of his room, clipboard in hand. He points a pen at me, "I'm assuming you're Park Haru?"

I nod. "The six of them are also with me," I add on, gesturing to the guys.

"Okay, that's alright. I'm Dr. Nam," he sighs, "So Jungkook has been suffering with kidney problems for a few years now, I'm surprised he didn't get it treated. Do any of you perhaps know the reason why?"

I glance at the guys and they nod, signaling me to tell him.

"He was never really financially stable and he had some complications with his family."

Dr. Nam nods, "Oh, I see. Well, as of right now, Jungkook isn't in a stable state. He's very weak and we've given him multiple IVs already. But you see, machines can only do so much."

"What can we do then?" Namjoon asks.

Dr. Nam looks down at his keyboard. "The best way to keep him alive will be a kidney donor."

I feel my heart drop to my stomach. "A kidney donor?"

"Are you sure there's no other option?" Hoseok asks, his voice starting to tremble.

Dr. Nam shakes his head, "We could keep him on the machines, but like I said, the machines can only do so much."

"Well then," Jimin starts, "What can we do?"

Dr. Nam taps his pen against his clipboard, "Well, Jungkook's blood type is O positive, meaning he can only receive from O negative or O positive donors."

I glance at the guys, disbelief shadowing over our faces. I turn and look back at him.

"If you guys need some time to decide who the kidney donor will be, I can give you guys some privacy," Dr. Nam states.

"Yes, that would be appreciated," Namjoon nods.

"You guys can go ahead and enter his room as well. If you need any assistance, there's a call button on the wall right next to his bed." Dr. Nam bows and walks away, leaving the seven of us in the hallway.

I turn my head and look at the door to his room. I gulp, turning back to the guys. "Should we go in?"

They all slowly nod. I look back at the door, staring at the knob.

The second I pull the door open, my heart drops to my stomach.

{ A / N }

yes i know that jungkook's bloodtype
irl isn't O but it's for the story so i had to do it :(