chapter fifty-six

I finish the last of the soup I've been given when Haru enters the room. I clean my mouth with a napkin, "You haven't gone home yet?"

She sits down next to me, taking my hand in her's. "I'm spending the night here."

"Baby, I'll be okay. Go home and rest," I say, brushing her hair out of her eyes.

"I won't be able to sleep knowing you're like this. I'll honestly be more comfortable sleeping on that chair than sleeping in my bed," she says, gesturing to the cushioned chair in the corner of the room.

I grin, "It doesn't look very comfortable."

"Any place is comfortable when I'm with you," she teases, scrunching up her nose.

"You're so cheesy," I laugh, and she giggles.

She looks down at her hands, the stars in her eyes darkening, "I'm just trying to lighten up the mood a bit."

"Hey," I cup her face and turn it to face me, "I'm gonna be okay. I'm not lying this time, I promise."

"I don't want anything bad to happen to you," she says, voice cutting.

"As long as you're here, I'm gonna make it," I whisper.

She smiles, tears running down her cheeks, "Now look who's being cheesy." I chuckle in response.

I sit upward, leaning only on my elbow and using the other to bring her face to mine,
locking our lips together. Just the warmth of her lips fills me with determination to keep fighting, to keep moving forward.

"I love you," I whisper, pulling away. "And I promise I'll make it through this."

{ A / N }

this chapter wasn't supposed to be this
short i swear