Chapter Nine

Xavier'pov.

Entertaining fathers people is becoming tedious, I wish Alec would just arrive already. I excuse myself for the people before going outside for a breather. My father's Manor is filled tonight, all of people who are either here for business or to kiss my father ass. None of which know about him loosing his company to an anonymous figure. Seventy-five percent is what they own. How stupid can that man be? When I take over from my father, I shall bring back the honor of our name.

"Master Xavier." I hear behind me. I turn to see my father butler, Jeremy. "Your brother has arrived."

"Thank you." I say before walking back into the ball room to find my brother. He is standing near the stairs with another man, in a dress? And Veronica. I walk towards them.

"Xavie!" I hear a shrieking voice, of the one and only, Rebecca Stonewall. Pesky individual, she never take no for an answer. "Xavie!" I turn to face her. "Baby, where you going in such a rush?" She placed her hand on my chest.

"Miss Stonewall, I have business I must attend to." I say taking her hand off me. I turn to look where my brother is, they seemed to have moved.

"Business can wait a moment, Xavie." I hear Rebecca complain behind me, I feel her arms rap around me. I turn and push her away, gently.

"This matter cannot wait, Rebecca." I tell her.

"I like it when you say my name." I pull my face in disgust.

"Brother!" I hear Alec call. Thank God.

"I must go." I say walking away.

My brother is standing by the refreshments, I go and stand with with. For moments we are silent, he looks as if he is pondering on something. Then he turns to me and he laughs slightly.

"Goodluck." He said as he patted my shoulder. "She is over there talking to her friends." He points and leaves to join them. I wait a moment before following him. There are five of them standing there, Johnathan, he works with my brother. Veronica and her two friends.

"Evening." I greet.

"Boss. Hey." Says a cheerful Johnathan.

"Mister Black." Says the women standing next to him.

"Evening." Says the man in the dress, I must say it suits him well.

"Guys this is my..." Starts my brother but Veronica cuts him off.

"We are acquainted." She said irritated, which earns her a nudge in her side from the redhead next to her.

"This is Riley." My brother point the redhead, I shake her hand. "And this is the fashion fabulous Kevin." He introduces the young man.

"A pleaser." I shake his hand. "You look lovely in that." I comment.

"Thank you, Veronica has just got this for me." He said smiling towards Veronica, who does not seem pleased that he had mentioned her.

"She has great taste." I smile at her but it did not seem to effect her in any way, she just gives me a blank look.

"I'm walking away now." Veronica said drinking her whole glass of champagne before leaving us standing there.

"I told you." Alec said with a smirk on his face.

"Told him what?" Asked Riley.

"He thinks he can get with Vic." My brother spoke. Kevin and Riley chorus in laughter. I am slightly offended at thier reactions towards my situation. "Guys don't laugh, you will piss off my brother."

"You must forgive us." Said Riley.

"It's just we know Veronica, you're cute and all but definitely no where near being what she would even consider a crush." Kevin explains, I look at him confused and awestruck. "In her words, you are just like your father."

"Ahh." I nod. "I had no idea she knew who my father was."

"You have no idea." The two say in unison.

"It's ohk boss." Johnathan said putting his arm around me, I look at him straight faced and he slowly retreats. "You had a total babe, practically spreading it wide for you earlier on."

"That is disgusting." I hear Riley say. "Low class."

"I agree, anyway I must be off. It was lovely meeting you two." I greet before walking away. I must find her. Am I not supposed to be like my father? She is such a strange women. I scan the crowd for Veronica and spot her standing by the door. I approach her at an angle which she cannot see me. I know, it's creepy but it is the only way I can't get her to stay and talk.

"Miss Veronica." I say grabbing her attention. She looks back at me and sighs in frustration and begins to walk away. "Miss, please." I say grabbing her wrist. Veronica looks at our hands and then back up at me. "I just wish to talk." I say slowly letting her go. Wordlessly she stands and waits.

"I would much prefer it if we could go somewhere with less people." I say nervously. Nervously?

"If it would quicken this meeting." She deadpans. I lead her towards the exit and step into my study. I turn on the lights but Veronica walks in and switches them off. I turn to face her, I could not make out much just her silhouette. Her dress hugged her body perfectly, shaping her pitett waist, highlighting her curves.

"You look absolutely beautiful." I tell her.

"Thank you. You are not as disappointing." She replies.

"How do you know my brother?" I asked.

"Met him at a club."

"Is your relationship with him one of a romantic origin?".

"And how would that me any of your concern?" She asked.

"Because I would like to have you." I state bluntly. I cannot see much of her face but the parts I do see, shows that she take aback by my statement.

"Have me?" She sounds offended. "I am not something to be owned."

"I did not mean to offend you, Veronica." I say stepping closer to her. "I know I can attend to your every need and give you everything you wanted."

"That I can manage myself." She said with a frustrated sigh. "Listen, I don't care about what you can offer me. I am perfectly fine with how I mange. I do not need someone to provide for me."

"I would still want to have you." I say. "How can you turn down the life I can give you?"

"Because I can get in myself." She spat.

Getting irritated at her resistance, I step back and take a moment to breath.

"Women with kill to get this kind of life, Veronica. You don't know what you are denying."

"Oh bite me, you sociopath." She seethed. "Do you honestly think you are all that and a bag of chips!?" She leaned on her left leg and placed her hand on her hip.

In this dim lighting her dark eyes seem even darker, almost black. I cannot see much but her silhouette stands out, I do not understand why is it that I notice this again.

"Do you not think that you are being absurd?" As the words left my mouth I knew it was a mistake. I heard her huff and stood straight, she stepped closer. I can see her better now, low light highlighted her plump lips, her noticeable jaw and cheek bone. Her long lashes that drew the attention to her big brown eye. For a moment she did not speak but sighed, as if she had given up.

"There is no cure for a fool." And with that she left the room, leaving me completely awestruck. I understood nothing of the encounter we had just had nor did I care, all I wanted was more. I needed more of Ms Veronica Ives.