Chapter Twenty One.

Veronica's pov.

Tonight is movie night, Kevin and Alec sat on the couch opposite the TV, Riley and Johnathan sat on the other couch next to theirs. Where was I, I was sitting on the single couch with a big bowl of popcorn and Astros. I was going to eat myself sick, the couples insisted that we watch a romantic comedy. I was in the mood for a John Wick movie, but majority rules.

With a big yawn I got up. "Anybody want something to drink?" I asked as I headed to the kitchen. There was a mumble of no's as they were too focused on the scene that unfolded. The kitchen was uneasily silent at night times. After drinking a glass of water I put it in the sink, looking up at my reflection in the window. I saw how sad I looked. For a while now it had been as is my eyes only wanted to cry. No matter how I smiled my eyes still remained sad, dull, almost lifeless. The glint of my mother's chain caught my eyes.

The ruby red rose reminded me of the gardens back at the Winters family estate. Mother and I loved to sit in that garden, doing nothing but talking or playing chess. Sumer time it was bright and full of life but I preferred the winter, despite the cold weather the roses bloomed without fail. When all other life seemed to be taking a break, the roses stood tall.

_A memory_

"Mother, why don't the other flowers bloom like the roses?" with my big brown eyes I looked up at my mother, curious as to what she would say.

"Well Lilly, that is because the other flowers are not as strong as the rose." My mother's smile was angelic, she looked down at my smaller self and rubbed my head.

"What do you mean?"

"Look around princess." She turned me to face the garden. "Do you see any other flower in bloom?" shaking my head I turn back to face her. "So you see, the rose is a strong flower. That is what you must be like Lylith. When everything seems cold and lifeless, you need to stand strong, just like a rose."

"But you call me a lilly, mother." I said looking at the roses around us.

"Because you are my precious lilly but you can be both. You can be as delicate and light as a lilly but you can also be strong hearted, sturdy and deeply rooted as the roses." My mother took my hand in her and said. "You can be both Lylith, you are capable of so much. My darling, promise me that you will be."

_End of memory_

"I promise mother."

I had not noticed the tears that rolled down my face until I heard someone knock on the door. Quickly pulling myself towards myself, I walked over to open the door. Shocked by who stood at the door I stayed quite for a moment.

"Xavier? What are you doing?" I asked staring right into his beautiful grey eyes.

"I can to see you miss Winters." He said with a sly smirk on his face.

"Why would... Wait. What did you call me?" I asked caught of guard, pushing him out and stepping out with him. I closed the door behind me, to ensure that the four inside did not hear the conversation.

"Miss Winters, Lylith Winters." The smirk on his face grew. "I must say I was truly shocked when I found out. But now that I really think about it, you are a Winters through and through."

"You know not of which you speak." I said in a hushed shouting.

"I don't? Then why don't you inform me?" Xavier took a step forward and I instinctively took one back. "Care to explain why you have hidden for so long?"

"It is none of your business, Xavier." He took another step forward, making me take on back.

"Why is that!?" Xavier half shouted. "You own my family company both legal and illegal. So tell me how a siren such as yourself is not any of my business!? When you, wench, have taken all that was to be mine."

I had not realized it until my back felt the cold of the wall against my back, Xavier had be trapped against the wall.

"Xavier, I need you to calm down." I said shakingly.

"Calm down!? Calm down!? Are you completely fucked!? You want me to calm down after knowing you are just ruining my family for your father..." I stopped his rant when I had slapped him.

"As I said, you lowly peice of shit, you know not of what you speak!" I shouted. "I want nothing to do with that man. All that I have accomplished, all that I have now, it was for me."

"Then how do you explain your birth name on all the company contracts?"

"Do you honestly think I am that simple minded, Veronica is an act. A lie, if I was to completely control all of that. I need it to be fully under my control, there is not space for loopholes. Exactly what you were looking for" I pushed him back, giving me space to breath as Xavier was almost on top of me.

"What?"

"You have been looking into me from the beginning, do you really think I did not notice. You have also been trying to find a way to get the company in your name."

"How do you know?"

"I have my own tech boy, Xavier. Now please if you will excuse me." I said walking away but was stopped when Xavier put his hand around my waist and pinning my back against the wall.

"What are you up to, miss Winters?" He said in a low, husky voice. If I am being honest with myself, I found that beyond attractive. His hands slowly caressed my sides, sending a wave of chills throughout my body.

"My prayers will fall upon deaf ears, if I were to speak them to you." I said softly, trying to focus on my breathing.

"I can assure you, miss Winters. I can answer a few of your prayers, right now if you asked." His voice was like well aged wisky, smooth. So alluring and hypnotic. Xavier's hands went up my back slowly and back down even slower. Our faces not only millimeters apart, I felt his minty breath fan my face. Slowly he lowered his lips to mine but when they were about to touch he moved lower onto the bow of my neck. There he placed soft kisses, my body moved without my consent as I pulled myself against him. He continued this for another minute, biting down on my lip to stop a moan from escaping. Suddenly he pulled away from me, turning to see what caught his attention. There stood Kevin, grinning like a fool at Xavier and I.

"We will have to continue our discussion some other time, Veronica." And with that Xavier walked to his car and drove off. Turning back to Kevin, who was still grinning like a Cheshire.

"Shut it." I said walking pass him to go back into the house.

"I wonder what you were discussing." Kevin cooed.

"Not a word." I said blushing like mad now.